Tax Changes and Capital Allocation in the 1980s
The paper begins with presentation of a methodology for computing rental costs of capital under any tax regime.Tax law over the 1980-84 period is specified and the provisions of theTreasury and Administration tax reform proposals and HR 3838 are described. A model is then constructed to allow calculation of the impact of changes in tax regimes and/or expected inflation on interest rates and the allocation of real capital. The model allocates a fixed private capital stock among various classes of nonresidential and residential capital, depending upon the rental costs for the capital components, the price elasticities of demand with respect to the rental costs, and the elasticities of homeownership with respect to the cost of owning versus renting. The interest rate adjusts in response to tax/inflation changes so as to maintain the aggregate demand for capital at this initial level.The model is employed to deduce the efficiency of the allocation of real capital under various tax regimes at different inflation rates.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Feldstein, Martin (ed.) The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Titman, Sheridan D, 1982. " The Effects of Anticipated Inflation on Housing Market Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 827-42, June.
- Constantinides, George M. & Ingersoll, Jonathan Jr., 1984. "Optimal bond trading with personal taxes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 299-335, September.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Summers, Lawrence H, 1984.
"The Taxation of Risky Assets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(1), pages 20-39, February.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1983. "Corporate Taxation in the United States," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(2), pages 451-514.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Joel Slemrod, 1982.
"Taxes and the User Cost of Capital for Owner-Occupied Housing,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(4), pages 375-393.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Joel Slemrod, 1982. "Taxes and the User Cost of Capital for Owner-Occupied Housing," NBER Working Papers 0929, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berndt, Ernst R, 1976. "Reconciling Alternative Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(1), pages 59-68, February.
- Mervyn A. King, 1980. "An econometric model of tenure choice and demand for housing as a joint decision," NBER Chapters, in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 137-159 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don Fullerton, 1985. "The Indexation of Interest, Depreciation, and Capital Gains: A Model ofInvestment Incentives," NBER Working Papers 1655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Mervyn A., 1980. "An econometric model of tenure choice and demand for housing as a joint decision," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 137-159, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.