The Lifetime Costs and Benefits of Medical Technology
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Cutler, David M., 2007. "The lifetime costs and benefits of medical technology," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1081-1100, December.
References listed on IDEAS
- Amitabh Chandra & Douglas O. Staiger, 2007. "Productivity Spillovers in Health Care: Evidence from the Treatment of Heart Attacks," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115, pages 103-140.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1990.
"Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 809-837, July.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation Of Nonlinear Models," Papers 341, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Garber, Alan M. & Phelps, Charles E., 1997. "Economic foundations of cost-effectiveness analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Meltzer, David, 1997. "Accounting for future costs in medical cost-effectiveness analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 33-64, February.
- Robert S. Huckman & Gary P. Pisano, 2006. "The Firm Specificity of Individual Performance: Evidence from Cardiac Surgery," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(4), pages 473-488, April.
- David Meltzer, 1997. "Accounting for Future Costs in Medical Cost-Effectiveness Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1992. "Medical Care Costs: How Much Welfare Loss?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 3-21, Summer.
- McClellan, Mark & Newhouse, Joseph P., 1997. "The marginal cost-effectiveness of medical technology: A panel instrumental-variables approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 39-64, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jack, William & Lewis, Maureen, 2009. "Health investments and economic growth : macroeconomic evidence and microeconomic foundations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4877, The World Bank.
- Alice Sanwald & Thomas Schober, 2014.
"Follow your Heart: Survival Chances and Costs after Heart Attacks - An Instrumental Variable Approach,"
NRN working papers
2014-13, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Alice Sanwald & Thomas Schober, 2014. "Follow your Heart: Survival chances and costs after Heart Attacks – An instrumental Variable Approach," CDL Aging, Health, Labor working papers 1503, The Christian Doppler (CD) Laboratory Aging, Health, and the Labor Market, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Alice Sanwald & Thomas Schober, 2014. "Follow your Heart: Survival Chances and Costs after Heart Attacks - An Instrumental Variable Approach," Working Papers 2014-26, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Alice Sanwald & Thomas Schober, 2014. "Follow your Heart: Survival Chances and Costs after Heart Attacks - An Instrumental Variable Approach," Economics working papers 2014-12, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Juan Contreras & Elena Patel & Ignez Tristao, 2013. "Production Factors, Productivity Dynamics and Quality Gains as Determinants of Healthcare Spending Growth in U.S. Hospitals," Working Papers 2013-13, Banco de México.
- Joshua Graff Zivin & Matthew Neidell, 2013. "Environment, Health, and Human Capital," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 51(3), pages 689-730, September.
- Avdic, Daniel, 2016. "Improving efficiency or impairing access? Health care consolidation and quality of care: Evidence from emergency hospital closures in Sweden," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 44-60.
- Margaret Oppenheimer & Helen LaVan & William Martin, 2015. "A Framework for Understanding Ethical and Efficiency Issues in Pharmaceutical Intellectual Property Litigation," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 132(3), pages 505-524, December.
- Kuhn, Michael & Frankovic, Ivan & Wrzaczek, Stefan, 2017.
"Medical Progress, Demand for Health Care, and Economic Performance,"
Annual Conference 2017 (Vienna): Alternative Structures for Money and Banking
168249, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Frankovic, Ivan & Kuhn, Michael & Wrzaczek, Stefan, 2017. "Medical progress, demand for health care, and economic performance," ECON WPS - Vienna University of Technology Working Papers in Economic Theory and Policy 08/2017, Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics, Research Group Economics (ECON).
- Joseph J. Doyle, 2011. "Returns to Local-Area Health Care Spending: Evidence from Health Shocks to Patients Far from Home," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 221-243, July.
- Boone, Jan, 2013.
"Does the market choose optimal health insurance coverage?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boone, J., 2013. "Does the Market Choose Optimal Health Insurance Coverage," Discussion Paper 2013-008, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- N. Meltem Daysal & Mircea Trandafir & Reyn van Ewijk, 2015.
"Saving Lives at Birth: The Impact of Home Births on Infant Outcomes,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 28-50, July.
- Daysal, N. Meltem & Trandafir, Mircea & van Ewijk, Reyn, 2012. "Saving Lives at Birth: The Impact of Home Births on Infant Outcomes," IZA Discussion Papers 6879, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- N. Meltem Daysal & Mircea Trandafir & Reyn van Ewijk, 2014. "Saving Lives at Birth: The Impact of Home Births on Infant Outcomes," Working Papers 1409, Gutenberg School of Management and Economics, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, revised 18 Sep 2014.
- N. Meltem Daysal & Mircea Trandafir & Reyn van Ewijk, 2012. "Saving Lives at Birth: The Impact of Home Births on Infant Outcomes," Cahiers de recherche 12-11, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Meltem Daysal, N. & Trandafir, M. & van Ewijk, R., 2012. "Saving Lives at Birth : The Impact of Home Births on Infant Outcomes," Discussion Paper 2012-077, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael Bäumler & Tom Stargardt & Jonas Schreyögg & Reinhard Busse, 2012. "Cost Effectiveness of Drug-Eluting Stents in Acute Myocardial Infarction Patients in Germany," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 235-248, July.
- Schreyögg, Jonas & Bäumler, Michael & Busse, Reinhard, 2009. "Balancing adoption and affordability of medical devices in Europe," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 92(2-3), pages 218-224, October.
- Li, Jing, 2014. "The influence of state policy and proximity to medical services on health outcomes," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 97-109.
- de Meijer, Claudine & O’Donnell, Owen & Koopmanschap, Marc & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 2013.
"Health expenditure growth: Looking beyond the average through decomposition of the full distribution,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 88-105.
- Claudine de Meijer & Marc Koopmanschap & Owen O'Donnell & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2012. "Health Expenditure Growth: Looking beyond the Average through Decomposition of the Full Distribution," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-051/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Murthy, Vasudeva N.R. & Okunade, Albert A., 2016. "Determinants of U.S. health expenditure: Evidence from autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) approach to cointegration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 67-73.
- Avdic, Danie, 2015.
"A matter of life and death? Hospital distance and quality of care: evidence from emergency hospital closures and myocardial infarctions,"
Working Paper Series
2015:1, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Daniel Avdic, 2015. "A Matter of Life and Death? Hospital Distance and Quality of Care - Evidence from Emergency Hospital Closures and Myocardial Infarctions," CINCH Working Paper Series 1501, Universitaet Duisburg-Essen, Competent in Competition and Health, revised Jan 2015.
- Yuyu Chen & Hongbin Li & Lingsheng Meng, 2013. "Prenatal Sex Selection and Missing Girls in China: Evidence from the Diffusion of Diagnostic Ultrasound," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 48(1), pages 36-70.
- repec:kap:ijhcfe:v:17:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s10754-016-9196-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Juan Oliva-Moreno, 2012. "Loss of labour productivity caused by disease and health problems: what is the magnitude of its effect on Spain’s Economy?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 13(5), pages 605-614, October.
- Damien Bricard & Zeynep Or, 2018. "Does an Early Primary Care Follow-up after Discharge Reduce Readmissions for Heart Failure Patients?," Working Papers DT73, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Mar 2018.
- Giuditta Callea & Aleksandra Torbica & Rosanna Tarricone, 2014. "Impatto del sistema di finanziamento a DRG sull’innovazione tecnologica in sanità. Il caso italiano," MECOSAN. Menagement e economia sanitaria, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2014(89), pages 31-48.
More about this item
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2007-10-13 (Health Economics)
- NEP-INO-2007-10-13 (Innovation)
- NEP-LTV-2007-10-13 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:13478. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () or (Joanne Lustig). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .