Inequality: Earnings vs. Human Wealth
The objective of this paper is to draw some inferences concerning the relative magnitudes of inequality in annual earnings, the traditional measure, and in human wealth, the measure suggested by recent literature. A second objective is to assess the relative importance of schooling, measured ability and to a limited extent family background in earnings and human wealth inequality as well as the overall contribution of these variables combined. A unique feature of this study is the estimation of earnings and human wealth and their distribution for a group of men for which several age-earnings data points are available over almost an entire lifetime (ages eighteen to fifty-four).
|Date of creation:||Apr 1975|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as American Economic Review, Vol. 67, no. 2 (1977): 42-53.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, Thomas, 1970. "Returns from Investment in Human Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 546-60, September.
- Mincer, Jacob & Polachek, Solomon, 1974.
"Family Investment in Human Capital: Earnings of Women,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(2), pages S76-S108, Part II, .
- Jacob Mincer & Solomon Polachek, 1974. "Family Investments in Human Capital: Earnings of Women," NBER Chapters, in: Marriage, Family, Human Capital, and Fertility, pages 76-110 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Welch, Finis, 1975. "Human Capital Theory: Education, Discrimination, and Life Cycles," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 63-73, May.
- Lee A. Lillard, 1973. "Human Capital Life Cycle of Earnings Models: A Specific Solution and Estimation," NBER Working Papers 0004, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Blinder & Yoram Weiss, 1974.
"Human Capital and Labor Supply: A Synthesis,"
435, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Griliches, Zvi & Mason, William M, 1972. "Education, Income, and Ability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(3), pages S74-S103, Part II, .
- Yoram Ben-Porath, 1967. "The Production of Human Capital and the Life Cycle of Earnings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 352.
- Levhari, David & Weiss, Yoram, 1974. "The Effect of Risk on the Investment in Human Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 950-63, December.
- Haley, William J, 1973. "Human Capital: The Choice Between Investment and Income," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(5), pages 929-44, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0080. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.