New Zealand's Quota Management System: A History of the First 20 Years
New Zealand is a world leader in the use of Individual Transferable Quota (ITQ) to manage fisheries. Although the use of an ITQ system is not unique to New Zealand, no other country has used this system to the same extent as New Zealand. This has meant that, internationally, a lot of interest has been placed on how our system works and the level of success it has achieved. Generally, the New Zealand system is considered to be a success story, yet the system has changed a number of times since its inception in 1986. Despite the level of interest in New Zealand's unique ITQ system, the current literature is unable to provide a complete account of the historic and current regulations surrounding it. This paper addresses this gap by documenting how the Quota Management System (QMS) functions and the changes it has undergone since its introduction. Reviewing these changes facilitates a deeper understanding of the system itself, as well as providing insight into its potential limitations.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Level 1, 97 Cuba Street, P.O. Box 24390, Wellington|
Web page: http://www.motu.org.nz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newell, Richard G. & Sanchirico, James N. & Kerr, Suzi, 2005.
"Fishing quota markets,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 437-462, May.
- Kerr, Suzi & Sanchirico, James & Newell, Richard, 2002. "Fishing Quota Markets," Discussion Papers dp-02-20, Resources For the Future.
- Suzi Kerr & Richard G. Newell & James N. Sanchirico, 2003. "Evaluating the New Zealand Individual Transferable Quota Market for Fisheries Management," Working Papers 03_02, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Suzi Kerr & Richard Newell & Jim Sanchirico, 2003. "Evaluating the New Zealand Individual Transferable Quota Market for Fisheries Management," Others 0309004, EconWPA.
- Clark, Ian, 1993. "Individual transferable quotas: the New Zealand experience," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 340-342, September.
- Sanchirico, James N. & Holland, Daniel & Quigley, Kathryn & Fina, Mark, 2006. "Catch-quota balancing in multispecies individual fishing quotas," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 767-785, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)