New Zealand's Quota Management System: A History of the First 20 Years
New Zealand is a world leader in the use of Individual Transferable Quota (ITQ) to manage fisheries. Although the use of an ITQ system is not unique to New Zealand, no other country has used this system to the same extent as New Zealand. This has meant that, internationally, a lot of interest has been placed on how our system works and the level of success it has achieved. Generally, the New Zealand system is considered to be a success story, yet the system has changed a number of times since its inception in 1986. Despite the level of interest in New Zealand's unique ITQ system, the current literature is unable to provide a complete account of the historic and current regulations surrounding it. This paper addresses this gap by documenting how the Quota Management System (QMS) functions and the changes it has undergone since its introduction. Reviewing these changes facilitates a deeper understanding of the system itself, as well as providing insight into its potential limitations.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.motu.org.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suzi Kerr & Richard Newell & Jim Sanchirico, 2003.
"Evaluating the New Zealand Individual Transferable Quota Market for Fisheries Management,"
- Suzi Kerr & Richard G. Newell & James N. Sanchirico, 2003. "Evaluating the New Zealand Individual Transferable Quota Market for Fisheries Management," Working Papers 03_02, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Clark, Ian, 1993. "Individual transferable quotas: the New Zealand experience," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 340-342, September.
- Newell, Richard G. & Sanchirico, James N. & Kerr, Suzi, 2005.
"Fishing quota markets,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 437-462, May.
- Sanchirico, James N. & Holland, Daniel & Quigley, Kathryn & Fina, Mark, 2006. "Catch-quota balancing in multispecies individual fishing quotas," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 767-785, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtu:wpaper:07_02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Watene)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.