A Comparative Analysis Of National Innovation Performance: The Baltic States In The Eu Context
This paper bridges two approaches to assess national innovation performance based on European Innovation Scoreboard (EIS) composite indicators and the analysis of the factors that may be behind these indicators. The main focus of the study is on analysing the innovation performance of the Baltic States – small countries with similar post-socialist path dependence. Our aim is to explore what factors have been most influential in developing the different levels of innovation performance in these countries, and whether these differences are also captured by innovation measurement indicators. Our analysis shows that the inability to sufficiently capture the quality of human capital, the small economy effect (i.e. high dependence on single enterprises in a sector) and data availability issues represent remarkable measurement problems. The measurement results may also be biased as a result of self-reporting indicators. This conclusion was confirmed by comparing the EIS evaluations with the results of our assessment via factor analysis. The results are robust. Estonian innovation performance seems to be ahead of the other two Baltic countries; the main causes have been the successful attraction of foreign investment, favourable tax policy and possible positive spillover effects from the Nordic neighbourhood, particularly Finland and Sweden.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Narva mnt 4, 51009 Tartu|
Phone: (+372 7) 376 310
Fax: (+372 7) 376 312
Web page: http://www.mtk.ut.ee
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006.
"R&D, spillovers, innovatoin systems and the genesis of regional growth in Europe,"
Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre'
0067, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa06p371, European Regional Science Association.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 5, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2003. "Innovation: A Guide to the Literature," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20031012, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2008.
"Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2008. "Research and development, spillovers, innovation systems, and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 23326, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtk:febawb:78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tonu Roolaht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.