Efficiency Of The Financial Intermediaries And Economic Growth In Ceec
This paper presents an analytical discussion and empirical evidence of the relationship between financial sector development and economic growth among Central and Eastern European countries. Theoretical views allow for the complex relationship between the financial sector development and economic growth. Empirical evidence is presented that depending on the time period and sub-sample the correlation of the financial development with economic growth can be negative or positive. Using monthly data the causality (in Granger sense) of this process is addressed - the causality can run one way or the other, depending on the particular country.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Narva mnt 4, 51009 Tartu|
Phone: (+372 7) 376 310
Fax: (+372 7) 376 312
Web page: http://www.mtk.ut.ee
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayoumi, Tamim, 1993.
"Financial Deregulation and Household Saving,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(421), pages 1432-43, November.
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- Barham, Vicky & Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre, 1995.
"Education and the poverty trap,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1257-1275, August.
- BARHAM, Vicky & BOADWAY, Robin & MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1992. "Education and the poverty trap," CORE Discussion Papers 1992010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barham, V. & Boadway, R. & Marchand, M. & Pestieau, P., . "Education and the poverty trap," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1173, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cartiglia, Filippo, 1997. "Credit constraints and human capital accumulation in the open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 221-236, August.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Jose De Gregorio, 1992.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
92/101, International Monetary Fund.
- Adalbert Winkler, 1998. "Financial Development, Economic Growth and Corporate Governance," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 12, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Liu, L.Y. & Woo, W.T., 1992.
"Saving Behaviour Under Imperfect Financial Markets and the Current Account Consequences,"
413, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Liu, Liang-Yn & Woo, Wing Thye, 1994. "Saving Behaviour under Imperfect Financial Markets and the Current Account Consequences," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 512-27, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtk:febawb:08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Reino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.