Efficiency Of The Financial Intermediaries And Economic Growth In Ceec
This paper presents an analytical discussion and empirical evidence of the relationship between financial sector development and economic growth among Central and Eastern European countries. Theoretical views allow for the complex relationship between the financial sector development and economic growth. Empirical evidence is presented that depending on the time period and sub-sample the correlation of the financial development with economic growth can be negative or positive. Using monthly data the causality (in Granger sense) of this process is addressed - the causality can run one way or the other, depending on the particular country.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Narva mnt 4, 51009 Tartu|
Phone: (+372 7) 376 310
Fax: (+372 7) 376 312
Web page: http://www.mtk.ut.ee
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-443.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayoumi, Tamim, 1993. "Financial Deregulation and Household Saving," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(421), pages 1432-1443, November.
- Tamim Bayoumi, 1992. "Financial Deregulation and Household Saving," Bank of England working papers 5, Bank of England.
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993. "Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- King, Robert G.*Levine, Ross, 1993. "Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1083, The World Bank.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Guidotti, Pablo E., 1995. "Financial development and economic growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 433-448, March.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Jose De Gregorio, 1992. "Financial Development and Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 92/101, International Monetary Fund.
- Cartiglia, Filippo, 1997. "Credit constraints and human capital accumulation in the open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 221-236, August.
- Barham, Vicky & Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre, 1995. "Education and the poverty trap," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1257-1275, August.
- Barham, V. & Boadway, R. & Marchand, M. & Pestieau, P., "undated". "Education and the poverty trap," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1173, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BARHAM, Vicky & BOADWAY, Robin & MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1992. "Education and the poverty trap," CORE Discussion Papers 1992010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Liu, Liang-Yn & Woo, Wing Thye, 1994. "Saving Behaviour under Imperfect Financial Markets and the Current Account Consequences," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 512-527, May.
- Liu, L.Y. & Woo, W.T., 1992. "Saving Behaviour Under Imperfect Financial Markets and the Current Account Consequences," Papers 413, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Adalbert Winkler, 1998. "Financial Development, Economic Growth and Corporate Governance," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 12, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtk:febawb:08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Reino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.