Barriers to Internationalisation: Firm-Level Evidence from South Africa
The internal resource barriers that firms experience influence their capability to export. This in turn influences the export performance of the country and the extent to which exports contribute to economic growth. The aim of this paper is to analyse the impact of resource barriers, more specifically firm size, productivity, firm-specific capital and labour market constraints, on South African firms' decision to internationalise. The literature on South African exporting firms presents some interesting glimpses of the exporting behaviour of firms in South Africa. However, these were cross-sectional studies focusing on earlier NES data and the 2003 ICA data. This paper tries to provide another dimension in terms of data, by taking the 2007 ICA data into account and by constructing a unique panel from the World Bank Enterprise Survey data for 2003 and 2007. Using panel data allows for better understanding of South African firms in that it enables one to consider the dynamic nature of firms over time. Also, the earlier South African contributions examined the export behaviour of South African firms, but did not control for unobserved heterogeneity. This paper takes the analysis a step further by estimating a panel data two-step Heckman selection model of the predictors of firms’ export propensities and intensities. From the overall results of the model, it is clear that the unobserved factors that make export more likely tend to be associated with lower levels of exports. The main findings are that firm size, productivity and finance matter for exports. Also, barriers to doing business, such as electricity, customs delays and transportation and the use of imported inputs influence exporting firms’ supply-side capabilities.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 1203, 6201 BE Maastricht|
Phone: +31 43 387 08 08
Fax: +31 43 387 08 00
Web page: http://research.msm.nl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edwards, Lawrence & Rankin, Neil A. & Schöer, Volker, 2008. "South African exporting firms: What do we know and what should we know?," MPRA Paper 16906, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2010.
"Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behaviour,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 347-373, March.
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behavior," Sciences Po publications 16, 2008, Sciences Po.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2010. "Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behavior," Post-Print halshs-00720196, HAL.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2009. "Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behavior," Post-Print halshs-00721070, HAL.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behavior," Working Papers hal-00973114, HAL.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behavior," Department of Economics Working Papers 0816, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Morgan, Robert E. & Katsikeas, Constantine S., 1997. "Obstacles to export initiation and expansion," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 677-690, December.
- Korth, Christopher M., 1991. "Managerial barriers to U.S. exports," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 18-26.
- Neil Rankin, 2006. "The Regulatory Environment and SMMEs. Evidence from South African Firm Level Data," Working Papers 06113, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- V. Gimede, 2004. "Export Propensities and Intensities of Small and Medium Manufacturing Enterprises in South Africa," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(5), pages 379-389, June.
- Rankin, Neil A., 2001. "The export behaviour of South African manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 16904, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msm:wpaper:2011/09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maud de By)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.