Assessing Dependence Changes in the Asian Financial Market Returns Using Plots Based on Nonparametric Measures
This paper investigates whether or not there are significant changes in the dependence between the Thai equity market and six Asian markets - namely, Singaporean, Malaysian, Hong Kong, Korean, Indonesian and Taiwanese markets - due to 1997-July financial crisis. If so, this may be an indication that the underlying bivariate joint distributions capturing the dependence between the Thai market and these six markets have changed. We employ the chi-plot proposed by Fisher and Switzer (2001) and the Kendall plot proposed by Genest and Boies (2003) to examine the dependence in these six markets for the pre- and post-1997 financial crisis periods. We find that marginal distributions of all seven markets have notably changed due to this financial crisis, and that the functional forms of the underlying joint distributions generating the dependence in the Korean, Indonesian and Taiwan markets have also changed for the post-crisis period. It appears that the same parametric copula can capture the dependence in the Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong markets for both pre- and post-crisis periods, and that only the tail indices of bivariate distributions between the Thai and these three markets have changed. It is interesting to observe that the same conclusions can be drawn using both chi- and Kendall plots.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 2002. "International Asset Allocation With Regime Shifts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(4), pages 1137-1187.
- Genest C. & Boies J-C., 2003. "Detecting Dependence With Kendall Plots," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 57, pages 275-284, November.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Terasvirta, Timo & Patton, Andrew J., 2006.
"Common factors in conditional distributions for bivariate time series,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 43-57, May.
- Timo Terasvirta & Clive W.J Granger & Andrew Patton, 2003. "Common factors in conditional distributions for Bivariate time series," FMG Discussion Papers dp455, Financial Markets Group.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2006. "Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(2), pages 527-556, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2006-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xibin Zhang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.