Common factors in conditional distributions for bivariate time series
A definition for a common factor for bivariate time series is suggested by considering the decomposition of the conditional density into the product of the marginals and the copula,�with the conditioning variable being a common factor if it does not directly enter the copula.� The links of this definition with a common factor being a dominant feature in standard linear representations is shown. An application using a business cycle indicator as the common factor in the relationship between U.S. income and consumption found that both series held the factor� in their marginals but not in the copula.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Issler, Joao Victor & Vahid, Farshid, 2001. "Common cycles and the importance of transitory shocks to macroeconomic aggregates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 449-475, June.
- Wallis, Kenneth F., 2002.
"Chi-squared tests of interval and density forecasts, and the Bank of England's fan charts,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
181, Royal Economic Society.
- Wallis, Kenneth F., 2003. "Chi-squared tests of interval and density forecasts, and the Bank of England's fan charts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 165-175.
- Wallis, Kenneth F., 2001. "Chi-squared tests of interval and density forecasts and the Bank of England's fan charts," Working Paper Series 0083, European Central Bank.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521252805 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-30, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Patton, Andrew J, 2001. "Estimation of Copula Models for Time Series of Possibly Different Length," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt3fc1c8hw, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1987. "Implications of Aggregation with Common Factors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 208-222, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:132:y:2006:i:1:p:43-57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.