Capital quasi-fixity and the estimation of markups
The treatment of capital costs, as either fixed or variable is a key for estimating markups. Data leans clearly towards fixity, which explains the high markups emphasized in previous studies based on Roeger's methodology. Direct estimation from the ratio of output over variable costs is preferable.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basu, Susanto, 1995.
"Intermediate Goods and Business Cycles: Implications for Productivity and Welfare,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 512-31, June.
- Susanto Basu, 1994. "Intermediate Goods and Business Cycles: Implications for Productivity and Welfare," NBER Working Papers 4817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Basu, S., 1993. "Intermediate Goods and Business Cycles: Implications for Productivity and Welfare," Papers 93-23, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Hindriks, F.A. & Nieuwenhuijsen, H.R. & de Wit, G., 2000.
"Comparative Advantages in Estimating Markups,"
0003/e, NEUHUYS - RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR SMALL AND MEDIUM.
- Hervé Boulhol, 2005. "Pro-competitive policies and the convergence of markups," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla05019, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "Market Structure and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(2), pages 285-338.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:bla05005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.