Methodology of measuring performance in alternative investment
The development of alternative investment has highlighted the limitations of standard performance measures like the Sharpe ratio, primarily because alternative strategies yield returns distributions which can be far from gaussian. In this paper, we propose a new framework in which trades, portfolios or strategies of various types can be analysed regardless of assumptions on payoff. The proposed class of measures is derived from natural and simple properties of the asset allocation. We establish representation results which allow us to describe our set of measures and involve the log-Laplace transform of the asset distribution. These measures include as particular cases the squared Sharpe ratio, Stutzer's rank ordering index and Hodges' Generalised Sharpe Ratio. Any measure is shown to be proportional to the squared Sharpe ratio for gaussian distributions. For non gaussian distributions, asymmetry and fat tails are taken into account. More precisely, the risk preferences are separated into gaussian and non-gaussian risk aversions.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Carlo Acerbi, 2001. "Risk Aversion and Coherent Risk Measures: a Spectral Representation Theorem," Papers cond-mat/0107190, arXiv.org.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Acerbi, Carlo & Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"On the coherence of expected shortfall,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1487-1503, July.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lauprete, Geoffrey J. & Samarov, Alexander, 2004. "Shortfall as a risk measure: properties, optimization and applications," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1353-1381, April.
- Carlo Acerbi & Dirk Tasche, 2001. "Expected Shortfall: a natural coherent alternative to Value at Risk," Papers cond-mat/0105191, arXiv.org.
- Stutzer, Michael, 2003. "Portfolio choice with endogenous utility: a large deviations approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 365-386.
- Carlo Acerbi & Claudio Nordio & Carlo Sirtori, 2001. "Expected Shortfall as a Tool for Financial Risk Management," Papers cond-mat/0102304, arXiv.org.
- Acerbi, Carlo, 2002. "Spectral measures of risk: A coherent representation of subjective risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1505-1518, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:b05078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.