Cournot duopoly and insider trading with two insiders
In this paper, we study a version of the static Jain-Mirman (2002) model in which competition in the real sector is introduced. In this paper, we add competition in the stock sector to the Jain-Mirman (2002) paper. We show that the linear equilibrium structure is affected by this competition in the financial sector. Specifically, we show that the stock price set by the market maker reveals more information and that the behaviour of the profits of the manager depends on the parameters of the model. Moreover, we prove that the level of output produced by the manager is less than in Jain-Mirman (2002). Finally, we also study the case in which the market maker receives only one signal and analyze the comparative statics of this model when the market maker receives either one or two signals.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13|
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jain, Neelam & Mirman, Leonard J., 2002. "Effects of insider trading under different market structures," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 19-39.
- Baiman, Stanley & Verrecchia, Robert E., 1995. "Earnings and price-based compensation contracts in the presence of discretionary trading and incomplete contracting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 93-121, July.
- Michael Manove, 1989. "The Harm from Insider Trading and Informed Speculation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 823-845.
- Wassim Daher & Leonard J. Mirman, 2004.
"Market structure and insider trading,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b04025, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Jain, Neelam & Mirman, Leonard J., 1999. "Insider trading with correlated signals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 105-113, October.
- James Dow, 2003.
"Informed Trading, Investment, and Welfare,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(3), pages 439-454, July.
- James Dow & Rohit Rahi, 1996. "Informed Trading, Investment and Welfare," Archive Working Papers 029, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Rohit Rahi & James Dow, 1998. "Informed Trading, Investment, and Welfare," FMG Discussion Papers dp292, Financial Markets Group.
- Dow, J & Rahi, R, 1997. "Informed Trading, Investment, and Welfare," Economics Working Papers eco97/03, European University Institute.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1993. "Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 678-709, August.
- Holden, Craig W & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1992. " Long-Lived Private Information and Imperfect Competition," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 247-70, March.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean-Luc Vila, 1994.
"Insider Trading without Normality,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 131-152.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1992.
"Insider Trading: Should It Be Prohibited?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 859-87, August.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Leonard J. Mirman & Neelam Jain, 2000. "Real and financial effects of insider trading with correlated signals," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 16(2), pages 333-353.
- Creane, Anthony, 1994. "Experimentation with Heteroskedastic Noise," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 4(2), pages 275-86, March.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1993. "The Effect of Public Information and Competition on Trading Volume and Price Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 23-56.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1990. "Insider Trading in a Rational Expectations Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1022-41, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:b04077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.