Low Self-Control As a Source of Crime. A Meta-Study
Self-control theory is one of the best studied criminological paradigms. Since Gottfredson and Hirschi published their General Theory in 1990 the theory has been tested on more than a million subjects. This meta-study systematizes the evidence, reporting 717 results from 102 different publications that cover 966,364 original data points. The paper develops a methodology that makes it possible to standardize findings although the original papers have used widely varying statistical procedures, and have generated findings of very different precision. Overall, the theory is overwhelmingly supported, but the effect is relatively small, and is sensitive to adding a host of moderating variables.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49-(0)228 / 91416-0
Fax: +49-(0)228 / 91416-55
Web page: http://www.coll.mpg.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. D. Stanley, 2001. "Wheat from Chaff: Meta-analysis as Quantitative Literature Review," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 131-150, Summer.
- Gibson, Chris & Wright, John, 2001. "Low self-control and coworker delinquency: A research note," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 483-492.
- Roger M. Harbord & Julian P.T. Higgins, 2008. "Meta-regression in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(4), pages 493-519, December.
- Langton, Lynn, 2006. "Low self-control and parole failure: An assessment of risk from a theoretical perspective," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 469-478.
- Miller, Holly Ventura & Jennings, Wesley G. & Alvarez-Rivera, Lorna L. & Lanza-Kaduce, Lonn, 2009. "Self-control, attachment, and deviance among Hispanic adolescents," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 77-84, January.
- Kissner, Jason & Pyrooz, David C., 2009. "Self-control, differential association, and gang membership: A theoretical and empirical extension of the literature," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 478-487, September.
- Baker, Joseph O., 2010. "The expression of low self-control as problematic drinking in adolescents: An integrated control perspective," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 237-244, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mpg:wpaper:2012_04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Martin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.