Operational–risk Dependencies and the Determination of Risk Capital
With the advent of Basel II, risk–capital provisions need to also account for operational risk. The specification of dependence structures and the assessment of their effects on aggregate risk–capital are still open issues in modeling operational risk. In this paper, we investigate the potential consequences of adopting the restrictive Basel’s Loss Distribution Approach (LDA), as compared to strategies that take dependencies explicitly into account. Drawing on a real–world database, we fit alternative dependence structures, using parametric copulas and nonparametric tail–dependence coefficients, and discuss the implications on the estimation of aggregate risk capital. We find that risk–capital estimates may increase relative to that derived for the LDA when accounting explicitly for the presence of dependencies. This phenomenon is not only be due to the (fitted) characteristics of the data, but also arise from the specific Monte Carlo setup in simulation–based risk–capital analysis.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.recent.unimore.it/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Genest & Jean-François Quessy & Bruno Rémillard, 2006. "Goodness-of-fit Procedures for Copula Models Based on the Probability Integral Transformation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 337-366.
- Chavez-Demoulin, V. & Embrechts, P. & Neslehova, J., 2006. "Quantitative models for operational risk: Extremes, dependence and aggregation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2635-2658, October.
- Paul Embrechts & Giovanni Puccetti, 2006. "Bounds for Functions of Dependent Risks," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 341-352, September.
- Georges Hübner & Jean-Philippe Peters, 2008.
"Practical methods for measuring and managing operational risk in the financial sector: a clinical study,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/14158, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chapelle, Ariane & Crama, Yves & Hübner, Georges & Peters, Jean-Philippe, 2008. "Practical methods for measuring and managing operational risk in the financial sector: A clinical study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1049-1061, June.
- Marco Moscadelli, 2004. "The modelling of operational risk: experience with the analysis of the data collected by the Basel Committee," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 517, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mod:recent:070. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.