A scoreboard to evaluate clusters’ competitiveness in the knowledge-based economy. An empirical study on Emilia Romagna region
Our main objective with this paper is to propose a scoreboard useful to assess clusters’ competitiveness in a knowledge-based economy. Our scoreboard is grounded on the concept of ecology of value. This concept highlights that the competitiveness of a network of small and medium enterprises depends on its capacity to leverage on firms’ strategic autonomy and self-determinacy by providing a context of interaction that is socially rich and adapted to sustain the development of intense ongoing relationships. In our scoreboard the concept of competitiveness is structured into two levels. The top level is made of a matrix that synthesizes cluster’s competitive position in terms of quality of the social capital available and of the learning process activated. The second level is made of three matrixes useful to deepen the reasons that contribute to define a cluster’s competitive position. We test our scoreboard in seven clusters of Emilia Romagna. Our scoreboard proves itself a useful benchmarking tool and a potential good support for policymaking
|Date of creation:||20 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Conservatorio 7, I-20122 Milan - Italy|
Phone: +39 02 50321522
Fax: +39 02 50321505
Web page: http://www.demm.unimi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Newlands, 2003. "Competition and Cooperation in Industrial Clusters: The Implications for Public Policy," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 521-532, July.
- Asheim, Bjorn T & Isaksen, Arne, 2002. "Regional Innovation Systems: The Integration of Local 'Sticky' and Global 'Ubiquitous' Knowledge," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 77-86, January.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2003.
"Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concept or policy panacea?,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 5-35, January.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2002. "Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp244, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Luciano PILOTTI, 2004. "Culture & arts as knowledge resources towards sustainability for identity of nations and cognitive richness of human being," Departmental Working Papers 2004-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Thomas Hatzichronoglou, 1997. "Revision of the High-Technology Sector and Product Classification," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 1997/2, OECD Publishing.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ron Boschma, 2004. "Competitiveness of Regions from an Evolutionary Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1001-1014.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:2006-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.