Flexibility and innovation in regional labour markets: The case of Lombardy
Purpose of this paper, which is a synthesis of a wider research project, is to show the impact of labour flexibility upon the employment structure of a prominent Italian region: Lombardy. The impact is especially investigated by focusing on the diffusion and the evolution of new "non standard" labour contracts. On one hand, Lombardy is leading, among all Italian regions, in the high-tech industries, in information and software services, in financial activities and other advanced services; on the other hand, the extension of non typical occupations (e. g. the temporary works and the "quasi-autonomous" positions) and, particularly, of the most innovative contracts (agency employment) is much wider than elsewhere. A comparison between the local labour market of a leading area and the labour market of the whole country, and an examination of the characteristics of non standard labour force may draw some light on a possible diffusion pattern of non typical employment in Italy. Moreover, the findings may provide the policymaker with useful hints for appropriate measures of institutional change.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 02 50321522
Fax: +39 02 50321505
Web page: http://www.demm.unimi.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Luigia Segnana, 1998.
"Trade and labour markets: vertical and regional differentiationin Italy,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
9810, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Giuseppe Celi & Maria Luigia Segnana, 2000. "Trade and Labour Markets: Vertical and Regional Differentiation in Italy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 14(3), pages 441-472, 09.
- Riccardo Faini & Anna M. Falzoni & Marzio Galeotti & Rodolfo Helg & Alessandro Turrini, 2001.
"Importing Jobs And Exporting Firms? On The Wage And Employment Implications Of Italy’S Trade And Foreign Direct Investment Flows,"
- Rodolfo Helg & Riccardo Faini & Anna M. Falzoni & Marzio Galeotti & Alessandro Turrini, 2001. "Importing Jobs And Exporting Firms? On The Wage And Employment Implications Of Italy’S Trade And Foreign Direct Investment Flows," International Trade 0103001, EconWPA.
- Riccardo Faini & Anna M. Falzoni & Marzio Galeotti & Rodolfo Helg & Alessandro Turrini, 1999. "Importing Jobs and Exporting Firms? On the Wage and Employment Implications of Italian Trade and Foreign Direct Investment Flows," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 58(1), pages 95-135, April.
- Marelli, Enrico, 2000. "The Various Structure Of The European Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa00p259, European Regional Science Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:2000-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.