On Measuring Convergence in the Use of Time
In the study of the effects of retirement on the allocation of time, this paper discusses methods that evaluate convergence in patterns of time use. Scalar measures of multivariate scatter are revealed to be a more general method than previous devices utilized in the time-use literature. However, since time devoted to some activities could be correlated with time devoted to others, the degree of scatter observed in the data tend to be affected by the level of activity aggregation selected by the researcher.
|Date of creation:||04 Jul 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.mea.mpisoc.mpg.de/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sveinbjörn Blöndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Gronau, Reuben, 2007.
"The Demand for Variety: A Household Production Perspective,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2767, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Reuben Gronau & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2008. "The Demand for Variety: A Household Production Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 562-572, August.
- Reuben Gronau & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2001. "The Demand for Variety: A Household Production Perspective," NBER Working Papers 8509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peña, Daniel & Rodríguez, Julio, 2003. "Descriptive measures of multivariate scatter and linear dependence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 361-374, May.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen Donald, 2007. "The Time and Timing Costs of Market Work," NBER Working Papers 13127, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gershuny, Jonathan, 2000. "Changing Times: Work and Leisure in Postindustrial Society," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287872, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mea:meawpa:05096. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Henning Frankenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.