On Measuring Convergence in the Use of Time
In the study of the effects of retirement on the allocation of time, this paper discusses methods that evaluate convergence in patterns of time use. Scalar measures of multivariate scatter are revealed to be a more general method than previous devices utilized in the time-use literature. However, since time devoted to some activities could be correlated with time devoted to others, the degree of scatter observed in the data tend to be affected by the level of activity aggregation selected by the researcher.
|Date of creation:||04 Jul 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy, Amalienstraße 33, 80799 München, Germany|
Web page: http://www.mea.mpisoc.mpg.de/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reuben Gronau & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2008.
"The Demand for Variety: A Household Production Perspective,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 562-572, August.
- Reuben Gronau & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2001. "The Demand for Variety: A Household Production Perspective," NBER Working Papers 8509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Gronau, Reuben, 2007. "The Demand for Variety: A Household Production Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 2767, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sveinbjörn Blöndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
- Peña, Daniel & Rodríguez, Julio, 2003. "Descriptive measures of multivariate scatter and linear dependence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 361-374, May.
- Gershuny, Jonathan, 2000. "Changing Times: Work and Leisure in Postindustrial Society," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287872.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen Donald, 2007. "The Time and Timing Costs of Market Work," NBER Working Papers 13127, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mea:meawpa:05096. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Henning Frankenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.