Resisting Globalization: Voting Power Indices and the National Interest in the EU Decision-making
The European integration process can be regarded as an aspect of the overall process of globalization and at the same time as an attempt to reconcile the move towards standardization with the defence of national diversity. A central role in the effort to exploit the benefits of integration without hampering the national nterest is the collective decision-making process in the EU shared by the Council and the Parliament, where national representatives struggle for the conquest of the ”lion’s share” in the division of the surplus stemming from the compromise on common policies. The paper focuses on the rationale behind the various Indices of Voting Power (Penrose, Banzhaf, Shapley and Shubik, Holler) which are the formal tools meant to understanding the coalition formation and assessing the probability of reaching an agreement. In the EU Council, although ministers tend to reach a broad consensus and explicit voting is rare, decision may be taken by qualified majority voting where countries are assigned weights reflecting their size. This practice has often been objected on the grounds that the potential emergence of permanent coalitions would prevent countries from being adequately represented, and eventually a different rule was proposed. The pros and cons of the newly proposed system are analysed through the computation of the Indices of Voting Power for the EU Council and Parliament.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in â€œGlobalization, Development and Integration A European Perspectiveâ€ Della Posta P., Uvalic M., Verdun A. (eds.) Palgrave MacMillan 2009 pp.247-258|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Oberdan, 3, 62100 Macerata|
Web page: http://www2.unimc.it/sviluppoeconomico
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgrén, Mika, 1996.
"Is the Allocation of Voting Power Among the EU States Fair?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1402, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1996. "Is the Allocation of Voting Power among the EU States Fair?," Discussion Papers 556, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Annick Laruelle & Mika Widgrén, 1998.
"Is the allocation of voting power among EU states fair?,"
Springer, vol. 94(3), pages 317-339, March.
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1998. "Is the Allocation of Voting Power among EU States Fair?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 94(3-4), pages 317-39, March.
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1996. "Is the allocation of voting power among EU states fair?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1996022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Pierre Salmon, 2004.
"The assignment of powers in an open-ended European Union,"
- Pierre Salmon, 2003. "The Assignment of Powers in an Open-ended European Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 993, CESifo Group Munich.
- Annick Laruelle & Federico Valenciano & Ricardo Martinez, 2006.
"Success Versus Decisiveness Conceptual Discussion and Case Study,"
- Federico Valenciano & Annick Laruelle & Ricardo Martínez, 2004. "Success Versus Decisiveness: Conceptual Discussion And Case Study," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-30, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Putnam, Robert D., 1988. "Diplomacy and domestic politics: the logic of two-level games," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(03), pages 427-460, June.
- Widgren, Mika, 1991.
"Voting Power in the EC Decision Making and the Consequencesof two Different Enlargements,"
377, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Widgren, Mika, 1994. "Voting power in the EC decision making and the consequences of two different enlargements," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1153-1170, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcr:wpaper:wpaper00008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo Sampaoli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.