An Application of Price and Quantity Indexes in the Analysis of Changes in Expenditures on Physician Services
Price and quantity indexes are applied in the analysis of expenditure on physician services in the province of Ontario, Canada, using newly available data files for 1992 and 2004. Price indexes for such services are found to have increased less rapidly than indexes of general inflation and quantity indexes are found to account for the largest share of physician expenditure increases. The quantity indexes imply substantial gains in services per capita, especially for older adults. They imply also an increase in labour productivity for physicians that is somewhat greater than the corresponding increase for the economy at large.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.mcmaster.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank T. Denton & Amiram Gafni & Byron G. Spencer, 2005.
"Users and Suppliers of Physician Services: A Tale of Two Populations,"
Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers
136, McMaster University.
- Frank T. Denton & Amiram Gafni & Byron G. Spencer, 2005. "Users and Suppliers of Physician Services: A Tale of Two Populations," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 399, McMaster University.
- Denton, Frank T. & Gafni, Amiram & Spencer, Byron G., 2002.
"Exploring the effects of population change on the costs of physician services,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 781-803, September.
- Frank T. Denton & Amiram Gafni & Byron G. Spencer, 2001. "Exploring the Effects of Population Change on the Costs of Physician Services," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 43, McMaster University.
- Frank T. Denton & Amiram Gafni & Byron G. Spencer, 2001. "Exploring the Effects of Population Change on the Costs of Physician Services," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 358, McMaster University.
- Boris Kralj, 2001. "Physician Distribution and Physician Shortage Intensity in Ontario," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 27(2), pages 167-178, June.
- M Barer & G Stoddart, 1991. "Toward Integrated Medical Resource Policies for Canada. 1. Background, Process and Perceived Problems," Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis Working Paper Series 1991-07A, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis (CHEPA), McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:qseprr:426. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.