An Efficient Mechanism for Differentiated Quality of Internet Service
The Internet industry has realized the importance of provisioning different quality of service to different applications. This paper proposes the integrated differentiated services that achieves the efficient throughput allocation without significant queue management or real-time pricing costs. Competing differentiated services integrates networks into a single network in an economy and allows endusers to submit packets to many networks. In equilibrium, each network posts any price for a submitted packet over time by virtue of the revenue equivalence property.
|Date of creation:||May 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MacKie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.L., 1993.
"Some Economists of the Internet,"
93-16, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Mackie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.R., 1993.
"Pricing the Internet,"
20/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Cremer, Jacques & Hariton, Cyril, 1999. "The Pricing of Critical Applications in the Internet," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 281-310, December.
- Gupta, Alok & Stahl, Dale O. & Whinston, Andrew B., 1997.
"A stochastic equilibrium model of internet pricing,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 697-722, May.
- Alok Gupta & Dale O. Stahl, 1996. "A Stochastic Equilibrium Model of Internet Pricing," CARE Working Papers 9604, The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:deptwp:2003-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.