Revisiting the Relationship between Financial Wealth, Housing Wealth, and Consumption: A Panel Analysis for the U.S
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Georgios Bampinas & Panagiotis Konstantinou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2017. "Inequality, Demographics and the Housing Wealth Effect: Panel Quantile Regression Evidence for the US States," Working Paper series 17-01, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Misuzu Otsuka & Jiri Slacalek, 2011.
"How Large Are Housing and Financial Wealth Effects? A New Approach,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(1), pages 55-79, February.
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Slacalek, Jiri & Otsuka, Misuzu, 2010. "How large are housing and financial wealth effects? A new approach," Working Paper Series 1283, European Central Bank.
- Levin, Laurence, 1998. "Are assets fungible?: Testing the behavioral theory of life-cycle savings," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 59-83, July.
- John D. Benjamin & Peter Chinloy & G. Donald Jud, 2004. "Why do Households Concentrate Their Wealth in Housing?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 26(4), pages 329-344.
- Kajal Lahiri & George Monokroussos & Yongchen Zhao, 2016.
"Forecasting Consumption: the Role of Consumer Confidence in Real Time with many Predictors,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(7), pages 1254-1275, November.
- Kajal Lahiri & George Monokroussos & Yongchen Zhao, 2015. "Forecasting Consumption: The Role of Consumer Confidence in Real Time with many Predictors," Working Papers 2015-02, Towson University, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2015.
- Calomiris, Charles W. & Longhofer, Stanley D. & Miles, William, 2013.
"The Housing Wealth Effect: The Crucial Roles of Demographics, Wealth Distribution and Wealth Shares,"
Critical Finance Review, now publishers, vol. 2(1), pages 049-099, July.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Stanley D. Longhofer & William Miles, 2012. "The Housing Wealth Effect: The Crucial Roles of Demographics, Wealth Distribution and Wealth Shares," NBER Working Papers 17740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2012.
"The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries,"
Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(5), pages 409-425, March.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2010. "The Effects of Financial and Real Wealth on Consumption: New Evidence from OECD Countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 38, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2011. "The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 837, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- J. Walter Elliott, 1980. "Wealth and Wealth Proxies in a Permanent Income Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 509-535.
- Bostic, Raphael & Gabriel, Stuart & Painter, Gary, 2009. "Housing wealth, financial wealth, and consumption: New evidence from micro data," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 79-89, January.
- Karl E. Case & John M. Quigley & Robert J. Shiller, 2011. "Wealth Effects Revisited 1978-2009," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1784, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Simeon Vosen & Torsten Schmidt, 2011.
"Forecasting private consumption: survey‐based indicators vs. Google trends,"
Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 565-578, September.
- Schmidt, Torsten & Vosen, Simeon, 2009. "Forecasting Private Consumption: Survey-based Indicators vs. Google Trends," Ruhr Economic Papers 155, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Phang, Sock-Yong, 2004. "House prices and aggregate consumption: do they move together? Evidence from Singapore," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 101-119, June.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin Hassett, 1991. "Corporate Savings and Shareholder Consumption," NBER Chapters, in: National Saving and Economic Performance, pages 75-102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Laura Blow & Robert Hamilton & Andrew Leicester, 2009.
"Booms and Busts: Consumption, House Prices and Expectations,"
Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(301), pages 20-50, February.
- Orazio Attanasio & Laura Blow & Robert Hamilton & Andrew Leicester, 2005. "Booms and busts: consumption, house prices and expectations," IFS Working Papers W05/24, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Campbell, John Y. & Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1991. "The response of consumption to income : A cross-country investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 723-756, May.
- Bampinas, Georgios & Konstantinou, Panagiotis & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2017. "Inequality, demographics and the housing wealth effect: Panel quantile regression evidence for the US," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 19-22.
- Eva Sierminska & Yelena Takhtamanova, 2012. "Financial and Housing Wealth and Consumption Spending: Cross-Country and Age Group Comparisons," Housing Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 685-719.
More about this item
Keywordsconsumption; financial wealth; housing wealth; wealth effects.;
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BEC-2019-05-20 (Business Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2019-05-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2019-05-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcd:mcddps:2019_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis). General contact details of provider: http://www.uom.gr/index.php?tmima=3 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.