Limited Reserves and the Optimal Width of an Exchange Rate Target zone
This paper analyses the stabilising properties of an exchange rate target zone when the stock of available reserves is limited. In these circumstances it is reasonable to suppose that the optimal bandwidth is affected by the expected lifetime of the zone. Our analysis uses Sutherland's (1995) target zone model to assess the importance of the expected lifetime in determining the optimal width of the zone. We find that the expected lifetime tends to widen the optimal bandwidth considerably but unless the stock of initial reserves is small and/or the fundamentals drift large, the extra lifetime bought is small in percentage terms.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/economics-finance-and-accounting
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & van der Ploeg, F., 1994.
"Macroeconomic stabilisation and intervention policy under an exchange rate band,"
1994-27, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1998. "Macroeconomic stabilization and intervention policy under an exchange rate band," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 339-353, April.
- Beetsma, Roel & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1994. "Macroeconomic Stabilization and Intervention Policy Under an Exchange Rate Band," CEPR Discussion Papers 925, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miller, Marcus & Weller, Paul, 1990.
"Exchange Rate Bands with Price Inertia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
421, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miller M. & Weller, P., 1990. "Exchange Rate Bands With Price Inertia," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 337, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Klein, Michael W, 1990. "Playing with the Band: Dynamic Effects of Target Zones in an Open Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(4), pages 757-72, November.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
2481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dumas, B. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1991.
"How Long do Unilateral Target Zones last?,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
1991-2, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Bernard Dumas & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1991. "How Long do Unilateral Target Zones Last?," NBER Working Papers 3931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dumas, B. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1994. "How Long Do Unilateral Target Zones Last?," DELTA Working Papers 94-06, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Dumas, B. & Svensson, E.O., 1991. "How Long Do Unilateral Target Zones Last?," Papers 509, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Dumas, Bernard J & Svensson, Lars E O, 1992. "How Long Do Unilateral Target Zones Last?," CEPR Discussion Papers 645, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William Poole, 1969.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
Special Studies Papers
2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Poole, William, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216, May.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Krugman, P. & Miller, M., 1992.
"Why Have a Target Zone?,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
394, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Krugman, Paul & Miller, Marcus, 1993. "Why have a target zone?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 279-314, June.
- Klein, Michael W. & Marion, Nancy P., 1997.
"Explaining the duration of exchange-rate pegs,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 387-404, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:may:mayecw:n1220803. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.