Differential market entry determinants for for-profit and nonprofit long-term care providers
This study considers market entry determinants for both for-profit and non-profit at-home longterm care providers in Japan. It examines market structure incentives and barriers to entry using a panel dataset of 48 Japanese municipalities for the 2003–2011 period. Estimation results show that forprofits and non-profits face different determinants of entry. Potential for-profit entrants are sensitive to profit considerations and therefore adapt to the market structure and clear barriers to entry. However, potential non-profits with preferential tax treatment and the constraint of non-distribution of profits enter disadvantaged municipalities. Both profits and non-profits have become integrated in Japanese at-home care markets.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb02/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katsuyoshi Nakazawa, 2012. "Welfare-Induced Migration of the Elderly in Japan - Gender differences in welfare migration patterns among the elderly," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201242, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Akihiro Kawase & Katsuyoshi Nakazawa, 2009.
"Long-term Care Insurance Facilities and Interregional Migration of the Elderly in Japan,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2981-2995.
- Akihiro Kawase & Katsuyoshi Nakazawa, 2009. "Long-term Care Insurance Facilities and Interregional Migration of the Elderly in Japan," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200939, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- A. G. Holtmann & Todd L. Idson, 1993. "Wage Determination of Registered Nurses in Proprietary and Nonprofit Nursing Homes," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 55-79.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Orr, Dale, 1974. "The Determinants of Entry: A Sudy of the Canadian Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 58-66, February.
- Satoshi Shimizutani & Haruko Noguchi, 2005.
"Nonprofit and for-profit providers in Japan's at-home care industry: evidence on quality of service and household choice,"
AccessEcon, vol. 9(3), pages 1-13.
- Haruko Noguchi & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2005. "Nonprofit and For-profit Providers in Japan's At-home Care Industry: Evidence on Quality of Service and Household Choice," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d04-73, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Shapiro, Daniel & Khemani, R. S., 1987. "The determinants of entry and exit reconsidered," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 15-26, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mar:magkse:201313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernd Hayo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.