Agriculture, Markets and Poverty – A Comparative Analysis of Laos and Cambodia
Laos and Cambodia have been transitioning to a market-oriented policy regime. Both are agrarian economies with agriculture contributing about one-third of the GDP. We assess prospects of achieving MDG1 and centrality of agricultural growth in achieving this goal. As these are macro relationships, richer insights into determinants of poverty are obtained by detailed analyses of recent household surveys in Laos and Cambodia. Some of these insights relate to access to markets, returns to crops, education, land size, non-farm activities, ethnic affiliation, and rural infrastructure, with unavoidable variation due to differences in the coverage of the household surveys used. Another major theme studied for Cambodia is integration of farmers - especially smallholders - into markets. The focus is on barriers between large and smallholders-for example, transaction costs. An accelerated transition to a more market-oriented policy regime may promote not just a more efficient agriculture but also a more equitable outcome.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heltberg, R. & Tarp, F., 2002.
"Agricultural supply response and poverty in Mozambique,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Heltberg, Rasmus & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Agricultural Supply Response and Poverty in Mozambique," WIDER Working Paper Series 114, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Samuel Annim & Raghav Gaiha, 2012. "Crop returns, prices, credit and poverty in Lao-PDR," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 17012, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2012. "Agricultural Supply Response and Smallholders Market Participation – the Case of Cambodia," Discussion Paper Series DP2012-09, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Md Shafiul Azam & Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2012. "Agricultural Supply Response and Smallholders Market Participation: the Case of Cambodia," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1208, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Raghav Gaiha & Katsushi S. Imai & Ganesh Thapa, 2011. "Role of Agriculture in Achieving MDG 1 in Asia and the Pacific Region," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1104, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha & Ganesh Thapa, 2011. "Role of Agriculture in Achieving MDG 1 in Asia and the Pacific Region," Discussion Paper Series DP2011-01, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Timothy Besley & Robin Burgess, 2003. "Halving Global Poverty," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- World Bank, 2009. "Cambodia - Sustaining Rapid Growth in a Challenging Environment : Country Economic Memorandum," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3142, The World Bank.
- Raghav Gaiha & Samuel Annim, 2010. "Agriculture, GDP and Prospects of MDG 1 in Lao PDR," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1012, Economics, The University of Manchester. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:1227. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.