Existence of Nash Networks in One-Way Flow Models (Revised Version of LSU Working Paper 2006-05)
This paper addresses the existence of Nash networks for the one-way flow model of Bala and Goyal (2000) in a number of different settings. First, we provide conditions for he existence of Nash networks in models where costs and values of links are heterogenous and players obtain resources from others only through the directed path between them. We find that costs of establishing links play a vital role in the existence of Nash networks. Next we examine the existence of Nash networks when there are congestion effects in the model. Then, we provide conditions for the existence of Nash networks in a model where a player’s payoff depends on the number of links she has established as well as on the number of links that other players in the population have created. More precisely, we show that convexity and increasing (decreasing) differences allow for the existence of Nash networks.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Baton Rouge, LA 70803-6306|
Web page: http://www.business.lsu.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Galeotti, Andrea & Goyal, Sanjeev & Kamphorst, Jurjen, 2003.
"Network Formation with Heterogeneous Players,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2996, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Hans Haller & Sudipta Sarangi, 2003.
"Nash Networks with Heterogeneous Agents,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
337, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Hans Haller & Jurjen Kamphorst & Sudipta Sarangi, 2007.
"(Non-)existence and Scope of Nash Networks,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 31(3), pages 597-604, June.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1995.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
1098R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Billand, Pascal & Bravard, Christophe, 2005. "A note on the characterization of Nash networks," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 355-365, May.
- Sudipta Sarangi & Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard, . "Heterogeneity in Nash Networks," Departmental Working Papers 2006-18, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lsu:lsuwpp:2007-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.