Existence of Nash Networks in One-Way Flow Models (Revised Version of LSU Working Paper 2006-05)
This paper addresses the existence of Nash networks for the one-way flow model of Bala and Goyal (2000) in a number of different settings. First, we provide conditions for he existence of Nash networks in models where costs and values of links are heterogenous and players obtain resources from others only through the directed path between them. We find that costs of establishing links play a vital role in the existence of Nash networks. Next we examine the existence of Nash networks when there are congestion effects in the model. Then, we provide conditions for the existence of Nash networks in a model where a player’s payoff depends on the number of links she has established as well as on the number of links that other players in the population have created. More precisely, we show that convexity and increasing (decreasing) differences allow for the existence of Nash networks.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.business.lsu.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Wolinsky, Asher, 1996.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 44-74, October.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1995. "A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks," Discussion Papers 1098R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1994. "A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks," Discussion Papers 1098, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Sudipta Sarangi & Hans Haller & Jurjen Kamphorst, .
"(Non-)Existence and Scope of Nash Networks,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-14, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20040031 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sudipta Sarangi & H. Haller, .
"Nash Networks with Heterogeneous Agents,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-06, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Billand, Pascal & Bravard, Christophe, 2005. "A note on the characterization of Nash networks," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 355-365, May.
- Galeotti, Andrea & Goyal, Sanjeev & Kamphorst, Jurjen, 2006.
"Network formation with heterogeneous players,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 353-372, February.
- Sudipta Sarangi & Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard, . "Heterogeneity in Nash Networks," Departmental Working Papers 2006-18, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lsu:lsuwpp:2007-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.