The Common Error of Common Sense: An Essential Rectification of the Accounting Approach
This paper takes the explanatory superiority of the integrated monetary approach for granted. It will be demonstrated that the accounting approach could do even better, provided it frees itself from theoretically ill-founded notions like GDP and other artifacts of the equilibrium approach. National accounting as such does not provide a model of the economy but is, rather, the numerical reflex of the underlying theory. It is this theory that will be scrutinized, rectified, and ultimately replaced in what follows. The formal point of reference is "the integrated approach to credit, money, income, production and wealth" of Wynne Godley and Marc Lavoie.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Adam, 2008. "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations: A Selected Edition," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199535927 edited by Sutherland, Kathryn, May.
- Kakarot-Handtke, Egmont, 2011. "Squaring the investment cycle," MPRA Paper 32895, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hahn, F H, 1980. "Monetarism and Economic Theory," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(185), pages 1-17, February.
- Tomasson, Gunnar & Bezemer, Dirk J, 2010. "What is the Source of Profit and Interest? A Classical Conundrum Reconsidered," MPRA Paper 20320, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bezemer, D.J., 2009. "No one saw this coming. Understanding financial crisis through accounting models," Research Report 09002, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Kakarot-Handtke, Egmont, 2011.
"Reconstructing the Quantity Theory (I),"
32421, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Egmont Kakarot-Handtke, 2012.
"Primary and Secondary Markets,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_741, Levy Economics Institute.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:09002 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lev:wrkpap:wp_731. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.