“No One Saw This Coming”: Understanding Financial Crisis Through Accounting Models
This paper presents evidence that accounting (or flow-of-fund) macroeconomic models helped anticipate the credit crisis and economic recession. Equilibrium models ubiquitous in mainstream policy and research did not. This study identifies core differences, traces their intellectual pedigrees, and includes case studies of both types of models. It so provides constructive recommendations on revising methods of financial stability assessment. Overall, the paper is a plea for research into the link between accounting concepts and practices and macro economic outcomes.
|Date of creation:||16 Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hopwood, Anthony G., 2009. "Exploring the interface between accounting and finance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 549-550, July.
- Giuseppe Fontana, 2000. "Post Keynesians and Circuitists on Money and Uncertainty: An Attempt at Generality," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 23(1), pages 27-48, October.
- Wynne Godley & Marc Lavoie, 2007.
"Fiscal Policy in a Stock-Flow Consistent (SFC) Model,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_494, Levy Economics Institute.
- Wynne Goldey & Marc Lavoie, 2007. "Fiscal policy in a stock-flow consistent (SFC) model," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(1), pages 79-100, October.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2004.
"Financialisation and the slowdown of accumulation,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 719-741, September.
- Dean Baker, 2002. "The Run-up in Home Prices: A Bubble," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(6), pages 93-119, November.
- Jordan, J S, 1989. "The Economics of Accounting Information Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 140-45, May.
- Giuseppe Fontana & Bill Gerrard, 2002. "The Significance of the Monetary Context of Economic Behavior," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 60(2), pages 243-262.
- Steve Keen, 1995. "Finance and Economic Breakdown: Modeling Minsky's "Financial Instability Hypothesis"," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 17(4), pages 607-635, July.
- Baumol, William J, 1977. "Say's (at Least) Eight Laws, or What Say and James Mill May Really Have Meant," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(174), pages 145-61, May.
- Das Dilip K., 2006. "Globalization in the World of Finance: An Analytical History," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-25, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15892. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.