Panel Data Estimation of the Intergenerational Correlation of Incomes
We consider the problem of estimating the intergenerational correlation of incomes in the context of a panel data framework with measurement errors. We present single equation estimation methods as well as system methods under various assumptions regarding the serial correlation of the error term and taking into account possible correlations among children of the same family. Application to a sample of US parents and children leads to estimates of the order of 0.42 to 0.60 for the coefficient of income transmission.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1999|
|Publication status:||Published in Panel Data : Future Research Directions, Essays in Honour of Professor Pietro Balestra, Krishnakumar, J. and Ronchetti, E. (eds), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP, Internef, CH-1015 Lausanne|
Phone: ++41 21 692.33.20
Web page: http://www.hec.unil.ch/deep/publications/cahiers/series
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bowles, Samuel, 1972. "Schooling and Inequality from Generation to Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(3), pages S219-S51, Part II, .
- Joseph G. Altonji & Thomas A. Dunn, 1991. "Relationships Among the Family Incomes and Labor Market Outcomes of Relatives," NBER Working Papers 3724, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lorraine Dearden & Stephen Machin & H Reed, 1996.
"Intergenerational Mobility in Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0281, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sean Becketti & William Gould & Lee Lillard & Finis Welch, 1985. "The Panel Study of Income Dynamics After Fourteen Years: An Evaluation," UCLA Economics Working Papers 361, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ramses H. ABUL NAGA, 1998.
"Estimating the Intergenerational Correlation of Incomes : An Errors in Variables Framework,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9812, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 1999. "Estimating the Intergenerational Correlation of Incomes: An Errors in Variables Framework," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 44, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 1999. "Estimating the intergenerational correlation of incomes: an errors in variables framework," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6579, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1986. "Economic data issues," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 25, pages 1465-1514 Elsevier.
- Zvi Griliches & Jerry A. Hausman, 1984.
"Errors in Variables in Panel Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Behrman, Jere R & Taubman, Paul, 1990. "The Intergenerational Correlation between Children's Adult Earnings and Their Parents' Income: Result from the Michigan Panel Survey of Income Dynamics," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 36(2), pages 115-127, June.
- Solon, Gary, 1992. "Intergenerational Income Mobility in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Becketti, Sean, et al, 1988. "The Panel Study of Income Dynamics after Fourteen Years: An Evaluatio n," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(4), pages 472-492, October.
- Bjorklund, Anders & Jantti, Markus, 1997. "Intergenerational Income Mobility in Sweden Compared to the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1009-1018, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lau:crdeep:9910. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gaëlle Sarda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.