On the impossibility of calculating the product technology in the Supply-Use model
The Supply-Use input-output model of the SNA and Eurostat is examined. For the product-by-product IO tables, two hypothesis are possible: “product technology”, largely adopted (Eurostat A) and examined here, and “industry technology” (Eurostat B). One examines the calculability of the model. Negatives are an issue; (i) they are systematical in the inverse supply matrix: negative probabilities are impossible, Markov chains become impossible; (ii) negative flows are nonsense in symmetric matrix of coefficients or in inverse matrices. Matrices must be square what removes much of their interest. Same conclusions can be transposed to industry-by-industry IO tables under fixed-industry-sales-structure assumption (Eurostat C).
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 00 333 80 39 54 41
Fax: 00 333 80 39 54 43
Web page: http://www.leg.u-bourgogne.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jansen, Pieter Kop & ten Raa, Thijs, 1990.
"The Choice of Model in the Construction of Input-Output Coefficients Matrices,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 213-27, February.
- Ten Raa, M.H. & Jansen, P., 1989. "The choice of model in the construction of input-output coefficients matrices," Discussion Paper 1989-1, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86070 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jackson, Randall W., 1989. "Probabilistic input-output analysis: Modeling directions," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 87-95.
- Mattey, J. & Ten Raa, T., 1997. "Primary versus secondary production techniques in US manufacturing," Other publications TiSEM ea0c1199-90e3-4a30-91f8-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lat:legeco:2008-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Odile Ferry)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.