Functional and structural complementarities of banks and microbanks in L.D.Cs
The prime objective of this paper is to explain the concept of monetary payments as a foundation of an analytical construction of microfinance institutions (microbanks) and official banks (banks) functional complementarity's in Less Developing Countries (L.D.C's). The second objective is to show that in L.D.C's production process, part of the non spent generated income is preserved after the payment operation, in the form of deposits accounts near microbanks and banks. The share preserved near microbanks, when it is not used to finance consumer expenditure and the income generating activities, is often invested in a portfolio of deposits account near banks. Microbanks are structurally complementary to banks. They are, for this purpose, a "super deposits accounts de facto" for households which do not have access to banks financial services. From a functional point of view and taking into account their role in microfirms production cost funding, microbanks cause monetary income generation. They are "banks de facto" and are functionally complementary to banks in L.D.Cs.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 00 333 80 39 54 41
Fax: 00 333 80 39 54 43
Web page: http://www.leg.u-bourgogne.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Thierry Montalieu, 2002. "Les institutions de micro-crédit : entre promesses et doutes Quelles pratiques bancaires pour quels effets ?," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 119(3), pages 21-32.
- Bell, Clive, 1990. "Interactions between Institutional and Informal Credit Agencies in Rural India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 297-327, September.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, June.
- Cécile Lapenu & Manfred Zeller & Martin Greely & Renée Chao-Béroff & Koenraad Verhagen, 2004. "Performances sociales : Une raison d'être des institutions de microfinance et pourtant encore peu mesurées. Quelques pistes," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 126(2), pages 51-68.
- Morduch, Jonathan, 2000.
"The Microfinance Schism,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 617-629, April.
- Besley, T. & Levenson, A., 1993.
"The Role of Informal Finance in Household Capital Accumulation: Evidence from Taiwan,"
171, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Besley, Timothy & Levenson, Alec R, 1996. "The Role of Informal Finance in Household Capital Accumulation: Evidence from Taiwan," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 39-59, January.
- Nissanke, Machiko K, 2001. "Financing Enterprise Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 343-67, May.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1980. "Banking in the theory of finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-57, January.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh, 1999. "Group lending, local information and peer selection," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 27-50, October.
- Daniel Hardy & Paul Holden & Vassili Prokopenko, 2003.
"Microfinance institutions and public policy,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 147-158.
- Van Wijnbergen, S., 1983. "Interest rate management in LDC's," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 433-452, September.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1983. "Credit policy, inflation and growth in a financially repressed economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 45-65.
- Bossone, Biagio, 2001. "Circuit theory of banking and finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 857-890, May.
- Black, Fischer, 1975. "Bank funds management in an efficient market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 323-339, December.
- Bloise, Gaetano & Reichlin, Pietro, 2005. "Risk and intermediation in a dual financial market economy," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 257-279, September.
- Timothy Besley, 1995. "Nonmarket Institutions for Credit and Risk Sharing in Low-Income Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 115-127, Summer.
- André Nsabimana, 2004. "Articulation entre les activités bancaires et microfinancières : une nouvelle sphère d'intermédiation ?," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 126(2), pages 37-50.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lat:legeco:2006-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Odile Ferry)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Odile Ferry to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.