The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship and Foreign Direct Investment
We explore if the Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship, applied to FDI, provides at least a partial explanation for the greater emergence of recent knowledge-based entrepreneurship in Ireland compared with Wales. In order to examine how FDI and entrepreneurship policy in these two regions might have influenced the levels of knowledge-based entrepreneurship, we outline FDI and entrepreneurship policies for Wales and Ireland and key measures of knowledge creation, and evaluate the extent and nature of FDI activity and its relationship with entrepreneurship in general and knowledge-based entrepreneurship in particular. Implications include possible policy directions for countries that are characterized by weak knowledge-creating institutions yet wish to encourage knowledge-based entrepreneurship.
|Date of creation:||12 Sep 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 JENA|
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.jenecon.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zoltán J. Ács & Colm O'Gorman & László Szerb & Siri Terjesen, 2015.
"Could the Irish Miracle be Repeated in Hungary?,"
Chapters,in: Global Entrepreneurship, Institutions and Incentives, chapter 30, pages 584-603
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Zoltan Acs & Colm O’Gorman & Laszlo Szerb & Siri Terjesen, 2007. "Could the Irish Miracle be Repeated in Hungary?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 123-142, March.
- Zoltan Acs & Colm O'Gorman & Laszlo Szerb & Siri Terjesen, 2006. "Could The Irish Miracle Be Repeated in Hungary?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-33, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Zoltán Ács & Attila Varga, 2005. "Entrepreneurship, Agglomeration and Technological Change," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 323-334, 02.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Attila Varga, 2004. "Entrepreneurship, Agglomeration and Technological Change," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- O'Malley, Eoin, 2004. "Competitive Performance in Irish Industry," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2004(4-Winter), pages 66-101.
- Max Munday & Annette Roberts, 2001. "Assessing the Regional Transactions of Foreign Manufacturers in Wales: Issues and Determinants," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 92(2), pages 202-216, 05.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson, 2004. "Institutions as the Fundamental Cause of Long-Run Growth," NBER Working Papers 10481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A, 2004. "Institutions as the Fundamental Cause of Long-Run Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 4458, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson, 2004. "Institutions As The Fundamental Cause Of Long-Run Growth," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002889, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2004. "The Missing Link: The Knowledge Filter and Entrepreneurship in Endogenous Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 4783, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Driffield, Nigel & Taylor, Karl, 2000. "FDI and the Labour Market: A Review of the Evidence and Policy Implications," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 90-103, Autumn.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130.
- Philip Cooke & Stephen Roper & Peter Wylie, 2003. ""The Golden Thread of Innovation' and Northern Ireland's Evolving Regional Innovation System," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 365-379.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2002. "Multinational companies and indigenous development: An empirical analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(7), pages 1305-1322, July.
- Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2002. "Multinational Companies and Indigenous Development: An Empirical Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 3325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- K Morgan, 1991. "Competition and Collaboration in Electronics: What are the Prospects for Britain?," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 23(10), pages 1459-1482, October.
- Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 1992. "Internalization : An event study test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 41-56, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)