Linking Resource Users’ Perceptions and Collective Action in Commons Management
Poor maintenance of water supply systems is a critical issue in sub-Saharan Africa. Using survey data on users of motorized piped water supply systems in rural southern Senegal, this paper examines what motivates resource users to contribute financially to the management of water supply system infrastructure by paying their water tariff. Results from logistic regression analysis indicate that users who prefer borehole water and are satisfied with the service provided are more likely than others to pay. In addition, those who trust that other users will pay are more likely themselves to pay than those who do not trust their peers. These findings suggest that assessing the needs of users and providing services tailored to those needs (e.g., quality, convenience) is recommended for future interventions. The incorporation of programs that promote peer trust also should be considered as future interventions to establish or strengthen resource management organization.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://jica-ri.jica.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela & Di Gregorio, Monica & McCarthy, Nancy, 2004.
"Methods for studying collective action in rural development:,"
CAPRi working papers
33, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & DiGregorio, Monica & McCarthy, Nancy, 2004. "Methods for studying collective action in rural development," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 197-214, December.
- Masako Fujiie & Yujiro Hayami & Masao Kikuchi, 2005. "The conditions of collective action for local commons management: the case of irrigation in the Philippines," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 179-189, 09.
- Runge, Carlisle Ford, 1986. "Common property and collective action in economic development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 623-635, May.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1993. "Analytics of the institutions of informal cooperation in rural development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 633-639, April.
- World Bank & International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Global Monitoring Report 2009 : A Development Emergency," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2625.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jic:wpaper:24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Japan International Cooperation Agency Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.