Nonparametric Identification Using Instrumental Variables: Sufficient Conditions For Completeness
This paper provides sufficient conditions for the nonparametric identification of the regression function m(.) in a regression model with an endogenous regressor x and an instrumental variable z. It has been shown that the identification of the regression function from the conditional expectation of the dependent variable on the instrument relies on the completeness of the distribution of the endogenous regressor conditional on the instrument, i.e., f(x|z). We provide sufficient conditions for the completeness of f(x|z) without imposing a specific functional form, such as the exponential family. We show that if the conditional density f(x|z) coincides with an existing complete density at a limit point in the support of z, then f(x|z) itself is complete, and therefore, the regression function m(.) is nonparametrically identified. We use this general result provide specific sufficient conditions for completeness in three different specifications of the relationship between the endogenous regressor x and the instrumental variable z.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3400 North Charles Street Baltimore, MD 21218|
Web page: http://www.econ.jhu.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2003. "Nonparametric IV estimation of shape-invariant Engel curves," CeMMAP working papers CWP15/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- D’Haultfoeuille, Xavier, 2011.
"On The Completeness Condition In Nonparametric Instrumental Problems,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 460-471, June.
- Xavier d'Haultfoeuille, 2006. "On the Completeness Condition in Nonparametric Instrumental Problems," Working Papers 2006-32, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Hu, Yingyao & Shum, Matthew, 2012. "Nonparametric identification of dynamic models with unobserved state variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 171(1), pages 32-44.
- Yingyao Hu & Matthew Shum, 2008. "Nonparametric identification of dynamic models with unobserved state variables," CeMMAP working papers CWP13/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Yingyao Hu & Matthew Shum, 2008. "Nonparametric Identification of Dynamic Models with Unobserved State Variables," Economics Working Paper Archive 543, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Yingyao Hu & Susanne M. Schennach, 2008. "Instrumental Variable Treatment of Nonclassical Measurement Error Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 195-216, 01. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)