Search, matching, and self-organization of a marketplace
In many developing countries, clusters of small shops are the typical market-place. We investigate an economic model in which, between buyers and sellers in a marketplace, a circular causality including the search process produces agglomeration forces, given the initial location of the marketplace location exogenously in a linear city. We conclude that initial number of buyers and sellers is important in forming a large marketplace.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 396. 2013.3|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey H. Fischer & Joseph E. Harrington Jr., 1996. "Product Variety and Firm Agglomeration," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(2), pages 281-309, Summer.
- Simon P. Anderson & Regis Renault, 1999.
"Pricing, product diversity, and search costs: a Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond model,"
Virginia Economics Online Papers
335, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Simon P. Anderson & Regis Renault, 1999. "Pricing, Product Diversity, and Search Costs: A Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond Model," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 719-735, Winter.
- Anderson, S.P. & Renault, R., 1997. "Pricing, Product Diversity and Search Costs: A Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond Model," Papers 97.481, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Arbatskaya, Maria & Konishi, Hideo, 2012.
"Referrals in search markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 89-101.
- Maria Arbatskaya & Hideo Konishi, 2010. "Referrals in Search Markets," Emory Economics 1004, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Maria Arbatskaya & Hideo Konishi, 2005. "Referrals in Search Markets," Emory Economics 0521, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Maria Arbatskaya & Hideo Konishi, 2005. "Referrals in Search Markets," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 614, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 10 May 2011.
- Konishi, Hideo & Sandfort, Michael T., 2003.
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 413-435, May.
- Marcus Berliant & Hideo Konishi, 2000.
"The Endogenous Formation of a City: Population Agglomeration and Marketplaces in a Location-Specific Production Economy,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
451, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Berliant, Marcus & Konishi, Hideo, 2000. "The endogenous formation of a city: population agglomeration and marketplaces in a location-specific production economy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 289-324, May.
- Konishi, Hideo, 2005.
"Concentration of competing retail stores,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 488-512, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.