Selection and utilization of the early harvest list : evidence from the Free Trade Agreement between China and Taiwan
In this paper, we conducted an empirical investigation into the determinants of FTA utilization in exports from Taiwan to China. To do this, we first estimated the selection equation to see what kinds of products are included in the early harvest list. As a result, we found that Taiwan includes products with a medium magnitude of benefits from tariff removal in the early harvest list. Taiwan also includes products for which ASEAN countries have better access to the China market. We then estimated the equation for the determinants of FTA utilization by introducing an inverse of the Mills ratio estimated in the selection equation. The findings are that, as usual, the FTA rates are more likely to be utilized for products with a larger tariff margin. In addition, some rules of origin are found to be relatively restrictive in terms of discouraging trade.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 365. 2012.8|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Céline Carrere & Olivier Cadot & Jaime Melo De & Bolormaa Tumurchudur, 2011.
"Product Specific Rules of Origin in EU and US Preferential Trading Arrangements: An Assessment,"
- Cadot, Olivier & Carrere, Celine & De Melo, Jaime & Tumurchudur, Bolormaa, 2006. "Product-specific rules of origin in EU and US preferential trading arrangements: an assessment," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 199-224, July.
- Olivier CADOT & Jaime MELO DE & Céline CARRERE & Bolormaa TUMURCHUDUR, 2005. "Product Specific Rules of Origin in EU and US Preferential Trading Arrangements: An Assessment," Working Papers 200508, CERDI.
- Tsai-Lung Hong & Chih-Hai Yang, 2011. "The Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement between China and Taiwan: Understanding Its Economics and Politics," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 10(3), pages 79-96, October.
- Kun-Ming Chen & Meng-Chia Tsai & Chia-Ching Lin & Chaw-hsia Tu, 2009. "Impact of Cross-Strait Trade Liberalization: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 17(6), pages 106-122.
- Hillman, Arye L, 1982. "Declining Industries and Political-Support Protectionist Motives," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1180-87, December.
- Miriam Manchin, 2004.
"Preference Utilisation and Tariff Reduction in EU Imports from ACP Countries,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-132/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Miriam Manchin, 2006. "Preference Utilisation and Tariff Reduction in EU Imports from ACP Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(9), pages 1243-1266, 09.
- Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman & Miriam Manchin, 2006.
"Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 197-216.
- J. Francois & B. Hoekman & M. Manchin, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-073/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard & Manchin, Miriam, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 5153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard & Manchin, Miriam, 2005. "Preference erosion and multilateral trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3730, The World Bank.
- Joseph Francois & B. Hoekman & M. Manchin, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp87, IIIS.
- Mayer, Wolfgang, 1984. "Endogenous Tariff Formation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 970-85, December.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Raja Chakir & Jacques Gallezot, 2007.
"The Utilisation of EU and US Trade Preferences for Developing Countries in the Agri-Food Sector,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Chakir, Raja & Gallezot, Jacques, 2006. "The Utilisation of EU and US Trade Preferences for Developing Countries in the Agri-Food Sector," Working Papers 18867, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Demidova, Svetlana & Krishna, Kala, 2008.
"Firm heterogeneity and firm behavior with conditional policies,"
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 122-128, February.
- Svetlana Demidova & Kala Krishna, 2007. "Firm Heterogeneity and Firm Behavior with Conditional Policies," NBER Working Papers 12950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devashish Mitra, 1999. "Endogenous Lobby Formation and Endogenous Protection: A Long-Run Model of Trade Policy Determination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1116-1134, December.
- Kishore Gawande & Pravin Krishna & Michael J. Robbins, 2006.
"Foreign Lobbies and U.S. Trade Policy,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 88(3), pages 563-571, August.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2011. "Measuring fixed costs for firms’ use of a free trade agreement: Threshold regression approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 113(3), pages 301-303.
- Richard E. Caves, 1976. "Economic Models of Political Choice: Canada's Tariff Structure," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 9(2), pages 278-300, May.
- Pincus, J J, 1975. "Pressure Groups and the Pattern of Tariffs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(4), pages 757-78, August.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Raja Chakir & Jacques Gallezot, 2007. "The Utilisation of Trade Preferences for Developing Countries in the Agri-food Sector," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 175-198, 06.
- Bombardini, Matilde, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and lobby participation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 329-348, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.