Environmental consciousness, economic gain and consumer choice of energy efficient appliances in Thailand, China and India
In developing economies, consumption of electricity in residential and commercial sectors increased with economic development. In order to identify the factors for effective facilitation of standard and labeling programs, this article explores factors that affect consumer choice to energy-efficient products. Main findings are as follows: (1)Consumers in Thailand shows the highest awareness to environmental friendly concepts, followed by India and China.(2) Chosen labeled products include air-conditioners, TVs, refrigerators and washing machines, but not some popular products such as ceiling fans, electric fans or mobile phones. (3) Consumer who has higher energy conservation perception will buy energy efficient products.(4) Consumers in China, India and Thailand are sensitive to energy efficiency of products, primarily because they lead to less expenditure on electricity. (5) Labeling works to make levels of the energy efficiency of products more visible and thus helped consumers to choose the products.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper = IDE Discussion Paper, No. 345. 2012-03-01|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545|
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Zhaohua & Zhang, Bin & Yin, Jianhua & Zhang, Yixiang, 2011.
"Determinants and policy implications for household electricity-saving behaviour: Evidence from Beijing, China,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3550-3557, June.
- Zhaohua Wang & Bin Zhang & Jianhua Yin & Yixiang Zhang, 2010. "Determinants and policy implications for household electricity-saving behaviour: Evidence from Beijing China," CEEP-BIT Working Papers 13, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research (CEEP), Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Fan, Ying & Liao, Hua & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2007. "Can market oriented economic reforms contribute to energy efficiency improvement? Evidence from China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2287-2295, April.
- Sarkar, Ashok & Singh, Jas, 2010. "Financing energy efficiency in developing countries--lessons learned and remaining challenges," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5560-5571, October.
- Zhou, Nan & Fridley, David & McNeil, Michael & Zheng, Nina & Letschert, Virginie & Ke, Jing & Saheb, Yamina, 2011. "Analysis of potential energy saving and CO2 emission reduction of home appliances and commercial equipments in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 4541-4550, August.
- Ward, David O. & Clark, Christopher D. & Jensen, Kimberly L. & Russell, Clifford S. & Yen, Steven T., 2010. "Factors Influencing Willingness-to-Pay for the Energy Star Label," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61141, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mahlia, T. M. I. & Masjuki, H. H. & Saidur, R. & Amalina, M. A., 2004. "Cost-benefit analysis of implementing minimum energy efficiency standards for household refrigerator-freezers in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(16), pages 1819-1824, November.
- Mills, Bradford & Schleich, Joachim, 2010. "What's driving energy efficient appliance label awareness and purchase propensity?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 814-825, February.
- Mills, Bradford F. & Schleich, Joachim, 2009. "What's driving energy efficient appliance label awareness and purchase propensity?," Working Papers "Sustainability and Innovation" S1/2009, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Balachandra, P. & Ravindranath, Darshini & Ravindranath, N.H., 2010. "Energy efficiency in India: Assessing the policy regimes and their impacts," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6428-6438, November.
- Galarraga, Ibon & González-Eguino, Mikel & Markandya, Anil, 2011. "Willingness to pay and price elasticities of demand for energy-efficient appliances: Combining the hedonic approach and demand systems," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(S1), pages 66-74. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minami Tosa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.