Exploiting the Modularity of Value Chains: Inter-firm Dynamics of the Taiwanese Notebook PC Industry
This paper explores the inter-firm dynamics that govern the rise of capabilities of latecomer firms operating in global value chains. By extending and modifying the model proposed by Gereffi, Humphrey and Sturgeon , I present a framework in which the rise of supplier capabilities is determined by interactions among the strategies of the firms. Based on a case study of the Taiwanese notebook PC industry, the paper will explore how the interactions among outsourcing strategies by lead firms from the developed countries, the learning strategies of Taiwanese suppliers, and the product strategy of powerful component vendors have driven the explosive growth of the industry after the 1990s. By so doing, the paper attempts to highlight the active roles firms play in determining the speed and direction of the rise in supplier capabilities.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 146. 2008.4|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chikashi Kishimoto, 2004. "Clustering and upgrading in global value chains: the Taiwanese personal computer industry," Chapters, in: Local Enterprises in the Global Economy, chapter 9 Edward Elgar.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2004. "Governance in global value chains," Chapters, in: Local Enterprises in the Global Economy, chapter 4 Edward Elgar.
- Sturgeon, Timothy J., 1997. "Turnkey Production Networks: A New American Model of Industrial Organization?," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt2095c9d0, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Imai, Ken'ichi & Shiu, Jingming, 2007. "A Divergent Path of Industrial Upgrading: Emergence and Evolution of the Mobile Handset Industry in China," IDE Discussion Papers 125, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2004. "Chain governance and upgrading: taking stock," Chapters, in: Local Enterprises in the Global Economy, chapter 13 Edward Elgar.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.