The Wealth, Health and Wellbeing of Ireland's Older People Before and During the Economic Crisis
The economic crisis of 2008/9 was felt more acutely in Ireland relative to elsewhere and culminated in the international bailout in 2010. Given the economic collapse, Ireland provides an ideal case-study of the link between wealth collapses and movements in variables such as health and well-being. Using nationally-representative samples of older people collected before and during the crisis, we show that mean net assets fell by 45 percent between 2006/7 and 2012/13. In spite of this massive fall in wealth, measures of health and well-being remained broadly unchanged. However, expectations about future living standards became less optimistic. The results tend to support the findings of other recent studies that recessions do not have widespread negative effects on health and well-being.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Applied Economics Letters, 2014, 21 (10), 675-678|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erdal Tekin & Chandler McClellan & Karen Jean Minyard, 2013.
"Health and Health Behaviors during the Worst of Times: Evidence from the Great Recession,"
NBER Working Papers
19234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tekin, Erdal & McClellan, Chandler & Minyard, Karen Jean, 2013. "Health and Health Behaviors during the Worst of Times: Evidence from the Great Recession," IZA Discussion Papers 7538, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 2013. "Recessions, Healthy No More?," NBER Working Papers 19287, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vincent O'Sullivan & Brian Nolan & Alan Barrett & Cara Dooley, 2014.
"Income and Wealth in The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 45(3), pages 329-348.
- O'Sullivan, Vincent & Nolan, Brian & Barrett, Alan, 2013. "Income and Wealth in the Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing," IZA Discussion Papers 7393, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 2000.
"Are Recessions Good For Your Health?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(2), pages 617-650, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7832. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.