The Dynamics of Market Insurance, Insurable Assets, and Wealth Accumulation
We analyze dynamic interactions between market insurance, the stock of insurable assets and liquid wealth accumulation in a model with non-durable and durable consumption. The stock of the durable is exposed to risk against which households can insure. Since the model does not have a closed form solution we first provide an analytical approximation for the case in which households own abundant liquid wealth. It turns out that precautionary motives still matter because of fluctuations of the predetermined durable stock. Second we solve the model numerically. With deterministic labor income the representative agent demands a nonnegligible amount of market insurance. The deductible is substantially higher than in static models because agents can time-diversify their risk. Market insurance implies welfare gains of around .6% in terms of non-durable consumption. Introducing labor income risk into the model does not necessarily increase the importance of market insurance if the borrowing constraint endogenously tightens.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Gollier, 2004. "The Economics of Risk and Time," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262572249, December.
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli, 2000.
"Household Portfolios in Italy,"
CSEF Working Papers
43, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Guiso, Luigi & Pistaferri, Luigi, 2002.
"Uncertainty and Consumer Durables Adjustment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3332, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viala, P. & Briys, E., 1995. "Optimal Insurance Design Under Background Risk," Cahiers de recherche 9550, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," NBER Working Papers 2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1993.
"Uninsured idiosyncratic risk and aggregate saving,"
502, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1991. "Increases in risk and deductible insurance," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 435-440, December.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002.
"Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2004. "Solving dynamic general equilibrium models using a second-order approximation to the policy function," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 755-775, January.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2001. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," Departmental Working Papers 200106, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Angus Deaton, 1989.
"Saving and Liquidity Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
3196, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Becker, Gary S, 1972. "Market Insurance, Self-Insurance, and Self-Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(4), pages 623-648, July-Aug..
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Meyer, Jack & Ormiston, Michael B, 1997. "The Interaction between the Demands for Insurance and Insurable Assets," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 25-39, January.
- Rob Alessie & Michael Devereux & Guglielmo Weber, 1993.
"Intertemporal consumption, durables and liquidity constraints: a cohort analysis,"
IFS Working Papers
W93/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Alessie, Rob & Devereux, Michael P. & Weber, Guglielmo, 1997. "Intertemporal consumption, durables and liquidity constraints: A cohort analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 37-59, January.
- Craig Burnside, 1998. "Discrete State-Space Methods for the Study of Dynamic Economies," QM&RBC Codes 125, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., "undated".
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy,"
GSIA Working Papers
1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic," RCER Working Papers 399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Pok-Sang Lam, 1991. "Permanent Income, Liquidity, and Adjustments of Automobile Stocks: Evidence from Panel Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(1), pages 203-230.
- Viala, P. & Briys, E., 1995. "Optimal Insurance Design Under Background Risk," Cahiers de recherche 9550, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 1992. "The Buffer-Stock Theory of Saving: Some Macroeconomic Evidence," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(2), pages 61-156.
- Raviv, Artur, 1979. "The Design of an Optimal Insurance Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 84-96, March.
- Michael Haliassos and Alexander Michaelides, 2001. "Calibration and Computation of Household Portfolio Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 194, Society for Computational Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp615. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.