Time Costs of Children as Parents' Foregone Leisure
This article uses data from the 1998-1999 French INSEE time use survey to estimate the time costs of children. The focus is on couples with two spouses working Full-Time in the labor force in order to avoid issues of substitution between home production and labor supply. Time costs are computed in terms of hours of foregone leisure. The model accounts for selection into full-time employment and controls for use of hired childcare workers. We find that the foregone leisure cost of one child under age 3 is 1.9 hour for mothers and 2.2 hours for fathers. We find economies of scale for mothers but not for fathers. The presence of a childcare worker per child reduces the time cost of children to a couple of parents by 5%.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Mathematical Population Studies, 2015, 22(2), 80-100|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Almudena Sevilla-Sanz & Jose Ignacio Gimenez-Nadal, 2011.
"Trends in Time Allocation: A Cross-Country Analysis,"
Economics Series Working Papers
547, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gimenez-Nadal, Jose Ignacio & Sevilla, Almudena, 2012. "Trends in time allocation: A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1338-1359.
- Gimenez-Nadal, J. Ignacio & Sevilla, Almudena, 2012. "Trends in Time Allocation: A Cross-Country Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 6709, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- O. Ekert & Catherine Sofer, 1996. "Formal Version Informal Marriage : Explaining Factors," Post-Print halshs-00367260, HAL.
- Alfonso Sousa-Poza & Hans Schmid & Rolf Widmer, 2001. "The allocation and value of time assigned to housework and child-care: An analysis for Switzerland," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 14(4), pages 599-618.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5760. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.