This paper considers the use of loyalty inducing discounts in vertical supply chains. An upstream manufacturer and a competitive fringe sell differentiated products to a retailer who has private information about the level of stochastic demand. We provide an analysis of the market outcomes when the manufacturer uses two-part tariffs (2PT), all-unit discounts (AU) and market share discounts (MS). We show that retailer’s risk attitude affects manufacturer’s preferences over these three pricing schemes. When the retailer is risk-neutral, it bears all the risk and all three schemes lead to the same outcome. When the retailer is risk-averse, 2PT performs the worst from manufacturer’s perspective but it leads to the highest total surplus. For a wide range of parameter values (but not for all) the manufacturer prefers MS to AU. By limiting retailer’s product substitution possibilities MS makes the demand for manufacturer’s product more inelastic. This reduces the amount (share of profits) the manufacturer needs to leave to the retailer for the latter to participate in the scheme.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maliar, Serguei & Maliar, Lilia & Judd, Kenneth, 2011.
"Solving the multi-country real business cycle model using ergodic set methods,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 207-228, February.
- Serguei Maliar & Lilia Maliar & Kenneth L. Judd, 2010. "Solving the Multi-Country Real Business Cycle Model Using Ergodic Set Methods," NBER Working Papers 16304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Judd & Lilia Maliar & Serguei Maliar, 2011. "Solving the multi-country real business cycle model using ergodic set methods," Working Papers. Serie AD 2011-01, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ioana Chioveanu & Ugur Akgun, 2011.
Working Papers. Serie AD
2011-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sreya Kolay & Greg Shaffer & Janusz A. Ordover, 2004. "All-Units Discounts in Retail Contracts," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 429-459, 09.
- Greenlee, Patrick & Reitman, David & Sibley, David S., 2008. "An antitrust analysis of bundled loyalty discounts," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1132-1152, September.
- Sloev, Igor, 2007. "Market Share Discounts and Investment Incentives," MPRA Paper 13990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gual, Jordi & Hellwig, Martin & Perrot, Anne & Polo, Michele & Rey, Patrick & Schmidt, Klaus M. & Stenbacka, Rune, 2005. "An Economic Approach to Article 82 - Report by the European Advisory Group on Competition Policy," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 82, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2011-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.