Equality of opportunity and optimal effort decision under uncertainty
We analyze a society that cares about inequality of opportunity. We propose adynamic setting in which effort is a decision variable that individuals adopt as asolution of an explicit utility maximization program. Effort determines themonetary outcome and it depends on the individual¿s preferences andcircumstances. The planner designs an incentive scheme so as to foster higherincomes, reducing the opportunity cost of effort and productivity for the lessfavoured agents. Income is assumed to be random, and contrary to the generalneutral assumption, we obtain that luck does have a biased and persistent effect onincome distribution that may be regarded as unfair. We also study the planner¿soptimal policy when she cannot infer perfectly the individuals¿ responsibilityfeature.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2007.
"Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy,"
CHILD Working Papers
wp01_08, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2007. "Higher Education and Equality of Opportunity in Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 3163, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Laura Serlenga & Vito Peragine, 2007. "Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy," Working Papers 79, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1979.
"Moral Hazard and Observability,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 74-91, Spring.
- Peragine, Vitorocco, 2002. "Opportunity egalitarianism and income inequality," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 45-64, September.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006.
"Equality of Opportunity: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France,"
THEMA Working Papers
2006-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006. "Equality of opportunity: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France," Working Papers 53, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006. "Equality of Opportunity: Definitions and Testable Conditions with an Application to Income in France," IDEP Working Papers 0609, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 27 Sep 2006.
- Villar Notario Antonio & Calo-Blanco Aitor, 2009.
"Education, Utilitarianism, and Equality of Opportunity,"
201051, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Calo-Blanco, Aitor & Villar, Antonio, 2009. "Education, Utilitarianism, and Equality of Opportunity," MPRA Paper 18720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roemer, J.E., 1992. "A Pragmatic Theory of Responsibility for the Egalitarian Planner," Papers 391, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2009-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.