- On The Choice Of A Power Index
In this paper, we review and compare the main power indices to be found in the literature, that is to say, the Shapley-Shubik index, the Banzhaf index, the Johnston index, the Deegan-Packel index, and the Holler-Packel index. Three diferent approaches are used. First, the power indices are compared on the basis of a priori properties that they should satisfy. Second, a players power indices are compared on the basis of a priori properties that they shoud satisfy. Second, a players power is interpreted as the probability of her or his vote being necessary to pass a proposal. We present two models consistent with this approach: a model in which this probability arises from the assumptions made on the coalition formation and model, in which it arises from the assumptions made on the players voting behavior. Third, a players power is dened as her or his probability of playing a crucial role. Some power indices are derived from diferent assessments concerning the probability of playing such a role. Illustrations of the choice of an index are given for actual decision-making processes.
|Date of creation:||May 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Laver, 1978. "The problems of measuring power in Europe," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 10(8), pages 901-905, August.
- Annick Laruelle & Mika Widgrén, 1998.
"Is the allocation of voting power among EU states fair?,"
Springer, vol. 94(3), pages 317-339, March.
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1998. " Is the Allocation of Voting Power among EU States Fair?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 94(3-4), pages 317-39, March.
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1996. "Is the allocation of voting power among EU states fair?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1996022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- (*), Gerard van der Laan & RenÊ van den Brink, 1998. "Axiomatizations of the normalized Banzhaf value and the Shapley value," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 567-582.
- Federico Valenciano & Annick Laruelle, 2000. "- On The Measurement Of Inequality In The Distribution Of Power In Voting Procedures," Working Papers. Serie AD 2000-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- R J Johnston, 1978. "On the measurement of power: some reactions to Laver," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 10(8), pages 907-914, August.
- Dan Felsenthal & Moshé Machover & William Zwicker, 1998. "The Bicameral Postulates and Indices of a Priori Voting Power," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 83-116, January.
- Edelman, Paul H., 1997. "A note on voting," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 37-50, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:1999-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.