Forward induction in a wage repeated negotiation
We present a finitely repeated bargaining game with complete information. The stage game is asimultaneous demand game with a fall-back position for both parties, in which we allow one party(say, the union) to estabilish a credible commitment to strike if it is not offered a determinedwage. We try to refine the equilibrium set of the repeated game using a formulation of ForwardInduction. In particular, we say that a path of Nash Equilibria in the repeated game is Consistentwith Forward Induction (CFI) if for all period t the cost of deviation (if it is strictly positive) is greateror equal than the maximal net gain in CFI paths with t-1 horizon. We present several cases in which the average payoff for the union in any CFI path, when thehorizon tends to infinity, is his preferred wage. These results are similar to those obtained with thereputation effects approach and reveal some connection between the FI notion and the approachconsisting of perturbing the game with some incomplete information.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1997|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Damme, E.E.C., 1989.
"Stable equilibria and forward induction,"
Other publications TiSEM
bd598a8f-f017-4cab-a9ed-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Dekel, Eddie, 1990.
"Simultaneous offers and the inefficiency of bargaining: A two-period example,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 300-308, April.
- Eddie Dekel., 1989. "Simultaneous Offers and the Inefficiency of Bargaining: A Two-Period Example," Economics Working Papers 89-112, University of California at Berkeley.
- Dekel, Eddie, 1989. "Simultaneous Offers and the Inefficiency of Bargaining: A Two-Period Example," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2b0402g4, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Osborne, Martin J., 1990. "Signaling, forward induction, and stability in finitely repeated games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 22-36, February.
- KOHLBERG, Elon & MERTENS, Jean-François, "undated".
"On the strategic stability of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
716, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gonzalo Olcina, 1997. "Forward Induction In Games With An Outside Option," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 177-192, March.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine, 1995.
"Reputation and Equilibrium Selection in Games with a Patient Player,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
103, David K. Levine.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Levine, David K, 1989. "Reputation and Equilibrium Selection in Games with a Patient Player," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 759-778, July.
- Drew Fudenberg & David Levine, 1987. "Reputation and Equilibrium Selection in Games With a Patient Player," Working papers 461, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- D. Fudenberg & David K. Levine, 1989. "Reputation and Equilibrium Selection in Games with a Patient Player," Levine's Working Paper Archive 508, David K. Levine.
- Ponssard, Jean-Pierre, 1991. "Forward induction and sunk costs give average cost pricing," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 221-236, May.
- Gonzalo Olcina Vauteren & Vicente Calabuig Alcantara, 1997. "Bargainning, reputation and strikes," Working Papers. Serie AD 1997-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:1997-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.