Which firms want PhDs? The effect of the university-industry relationship on the PhD labour market
PhD graduates hold the highest education degree, are trained to conduct research and can be considered a key element in the creation, commercialization and diffusion of innovations. The impact of PhDs on innovation and economic development takes place through several channels such as the accumulation of scientific capital stock, the enhancement of technology transfers and the promotion of cooperation relationships in innovation processes. Although the placement of PhDs in industry provides a very important mechanism for transmitting knowledge from universities to firms, information about the characteristics of the firms that employ PhDs is very scarce. The goal of this paper is to improve understanding of the determinants of the demand for PhDs in the private sector. Three main potential determinants of the demand for PhDs are considered: cooperation between firms and universities, R&D activities of firms and several characteristics of firms, size, sector, productivity and age. The results from the econometric analysis show that cooperation between firms and universities encourages firms to recruit PhDs and point to the existence of accumulative effects in the hiring of PhD graduates.
|Date of creation:||14 Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20012|
Phone: +34 943 297 327
Fax: +34 943 279 323
Web page: http://www.orkestra.deusto.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Cruz-Castro & Luis Sanz-Menéndez, 2005. "The employment of PhDs in firms: trajectories, mobility and innovation," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(1), pages 57-69, April.
- Elena Huergo & Jordi Jaumandreu, 2004. "How Does Probability of Innovation Change with Firm Age?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 193-207, 04.
- Morten Jensen & Bjorn Johnson & Edward Lorenz & B.-A. Lundvall, 2007.
"Forms of knowledge and modes of innovation,"
- Mangematin, V., 2000. "PhD job market: professional trajectories and incentives during the PhD," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 741-756, June.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Vincent Mangematin & Nadine Mandran & A. Crozet, 2000. "The Carrers of Social Science Doctoral Graduates in France: the Influence of How the Research was Carried Out," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00424362, HAL.
- Grimpe, Christoph & Sofka, Wolfgang, 2009. "Search patterns and absorptive capacity: Low- and high-technology sectors in European countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 495-506, April.
- V Mangematin & S Robin, 2003. "The two faces of PhD students: Management of early careers of French PhDs in life sciences," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(6), pages 405-414, December.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00424362 is not listed on IDEAS
- Azagra-Caro, Joaquín M. & Fernández-de-Lucio, Ignacio & Perruchas, François & Mattsson, Pauline, 2008. "What Do Patent Examiner Inserted Citations Indicate For A Region With Low Absorptive Capacity," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 200808, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV), revised 27 Apr 2010.
- Azagra-Caro, Joaquin M. & Archontakis, Fragiskos & Gutierrez-Gracia, Antonio & Fernandez-de-Lucio, Ignacio, 2006. "Faculty support for the objectives of university-industry relations versus degree of R&D cooperation: The importance of regional absorptive capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 37-55, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivc:wpaper:2010r02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Asier Murciego)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.