What type of innovative firms acquire knowledge intensive services and from which suppliers?
Knowledge intensive services (KIS) and, in particular, R&D services contribute significantly to innovation in firms. The objective of this paper is to find out which characteristics of firms explain the acquisition of R&D services and to analyse whether there are differences depending on the typology of the supplier (universities, technology centres and consulting firms). Three main conclusions emerge from the econometric estimations. Firstly, the results show that size and age matter in the decision to buy R&D services, but these characteristics of firms do not have any particular influence in the decision to choose a specific supplier. Secondly, our results are consistent with the relevance that the literature gives to human capital in absorbing external knowledge. The variables used to control for human skills have a positive effect on the decision to buy R&D services. On the contrary, the estimates of other variables that capture internal knowledge base suggest that there is a substitution process between internal R&D activities and acquiring R&D services. Thirdly, innovation policy has a significant influence on the decision to acquire R&D services.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carrer del Tinent Coronel Valenzuela 1-11, 08034 Barcelona|
Phone: 93 403 46 46
Fax: 93 403 98 32
Web page: http://www.ieb.ub.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heidi Wiig Aslesen & Arne Isaksen, 2007. "Knowledge Intensive Business Services and Urban Industrial Development," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 321-338, April.
- Pearce II, John A. & Robbins, D. Keith, 2008. "Strategic transformation as the essential last step in the process of business turnaround," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 121-130.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra, Agustí & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013.
"Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 173-189.
- Alex Coad & Agustí Segarra & Mercedes Teruel, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2010-06, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Alex Coad & Agustí Segarra & Mercedes Teruel, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Working Papers XREAP2010-10, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Sep 2010.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra Blasco, Agustí & Teruel Carrizosa, Mercedes, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Working Papers 2072/179572, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 978-994, July.
- Fulvio, Castellacci, 2007. "Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation," MPRA Paper 26408, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marina Doroshenko & Ian Miles & Dmitry Vinogradov, 2014.
"Knowledge Intensive business services: the Russian experience,"
CyberLeninka;Федеральное государственное автономное образовательное учреждение высшего образования «Национальный исследовательский университет «Высшая школа экономики», vol. 8(4 (eng)), pages 24-39.
- Marina Doroshenko & Ian Miles & Dmitry Vinogradov, 2014. "Knowledge Intensive Business Services: The Russian Experience," Foresight-Russia, National Research University Higher School of Economics, vol. 8(4), pages 24-39.
- Tether, Bruce S. & Tajar, Abdelouahid, 2008. "Beyond industry-university links: Sourcing knowledge for innovation from consultants, private research organisations and the public science-base," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 1079-1095, July.
- Howells, Jeremy, 2006. "Intermediation and the role of intermediaries in innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 715-728, June.
- JosÈ Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2004.
"Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 283-298, 04.
- José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2002. "Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Working Papers w200204, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Vang, Jan, 2006. "Globalisation of Knowledge Production and Regional Innovation Policy: Supporting Specialized Hubs in Developing Countries," Papers in Innovation Studies 2006/15, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- JoaquÃn M. Azagra Caro, 2007. "The Regional Dimension of Universityâ€“Industry Interaction," Chapters, in: Knowledge Externalities, Innovation Clusters and Regional Development, chapter 9 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Alessandro Muscio, 2007. "THE IMPACT OF ABSORPTIVE CAPACITY ON SMEs' COLLABORATION," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(8), pages 653-668.
- Nicoletta Corrocher & Lucia Cusmano & Andrea Morrison, 2009. "Modes of innovation in knowledge-intensive business services evidence from Lombardy," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 173-196, April.
- Muller, Emmanuel & Zenker, Andrea, 2001. "Business services as actors of knowledge transformation: the role of KIBS in regional and national innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1501-1516, December.
- Roberto Antonietti & Giulio Cainelli, 2007. "Spatial Agglomeration, Technology and Outsourcing of Knowledge Intensive Business Services Empirical Insights from Italy," Working Papers 2007.79, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- José Fariñas & Lourdes Moreno, 2000. "Firms' Growth, Size and Age: A Nonparametric Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 249-265, November.
- Creplet, F. & Dupouet, O. & Kern, F. & Mehmanpazir, B. & Munier, F., 2001. "Consultants and experts in management consulting firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1517-1535, December.
- Meric Gertler, 2010. "Rules of the Game: The Place of Institutions in Regional Economic Change," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(1), pages 1-15.
- Simone Strambach, 2010. "Knowledge-Intensive Business Services (KIBS)," Chapters, in: Platforms of Innovation, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Peter J Buckley & Pervez N Ghauri, 2004. "Globalisation, economic geography and the strategy of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 81-98, March.
- Claudio A. Piga & Marco Vivarelli, 2003.
"Internal and External R&D: A Sample Selection Approach,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2004-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Claudio A . Piga & Marco Vivarelli, 2004. "Internal and External R&D: A Sample Selection Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(4), pages 457-482, 09.
- Muller, Emmanuel & Zenker, Andrea, 2001. "Business services as actors of knowledge transformation and diffusion: some empirical findings on the role of KIBS in regional and national innovation systems," Working Papers "Firms and Region" R2/2001, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Azagra-Caro, Joaquín M. & Fernández-de-Lucio, Ignacio & Perruchas, François & Mattsson, Pauline, 2008. "What Do Patent Examiner Inserted Citations Indicate For A Region With Low Absorptive Capacity," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 200808, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV), revised 27 Apr 2010.
- Andr�s Barge-Gil & Aurelia Modrego-Rico, 2008. "Are technology institutes a satisfactory tool for public intervention in the area of technology? A neoclassical and evolutionary evaluation," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(4), pages 808-823, August.
- Fabrizio, Kira R., 2009. "Absorptive capacity and the search for innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 255-267, March.
- Peter J Buckley & Pervez N Ghauri, 2004. "Globalisation, economic geography and the strategy of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(3), pages 255-255, May.
- José García-Quevedo & Francisco Mas-Verdú, 2008. "Does only size matter in the use of knowledge intensive services?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 137-146, August.
- Grimpe, Christoph & Sofka, Wolfgang, 2009. "Search patterns and absorptive capacity: Low- and high-technology sectors in European countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 495-506, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ieb:wpaper:2011/9/doc2011-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.