Typological Classification, Diagnostics, and Measurement of Flights-to-Quality
This paper proposes a total return-based framework to study flight-to-quality phenomenon of fixed-income securities. It consists of three elements: (i) the general definition of event; (ii) the typological classification of the phenomena to be able associate them with the phases of business cycle; (iii) automated technique to diagnose the time frames and to measure the impact of flight-to-quality on debt instruments. The proposed framework is applied to analyse capital movements from Emerging Markets public debt to the U.S. Treasuries and vice versa within the period 1998-2010. The results show that different phases of business cycles and GDP rates behaviours, including turning points, could be associated with flights-to-quality of different types and nature.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL|
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Naes, Randi & Skjeltorp, Johannes & Odegaard, Bernt Arne, 2008.
"Liquidity and the Business Cycle,"
UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance
2009/1, University of Stavanger.
- A. Javier Hamann & Irina Bunda & Subir Lall, 2010.
"Correlations in Emerging Market Bonds: The Role of Local and Global Factors,"
IMF Working Papers
10/6, International Monetary Fund.
- Bunda, Irina & Hamann, A. Javier & Lall, Subir, 2009. "Correlations in emerging market bonds: The role of local and global factors," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 67-96, June.
- Brière, Marie & Chapelle, Ariane & Szafarz, Ariane, 2012.
"No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1729-1744.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No Contagion, only Globalization and Flight to Quality," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/149092, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Working Papers CEB 12-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Chapelle, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7746, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," DULBEA Working Papers 08-22.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Franz Fuerst & Pat McAllister & Petros Sivitanides, 2011. "Flight to Quality? An Investigation of the Attributes of Sold Properties in Hot and Cold Markets," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2011-04, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Goyenko, Ruslan Y. & Ukhov, Andrey D., 2009. "Stock and Bond Market Liquidity: A Long-Run Empirical Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(01), pages 189-212, February.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1994.
"The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality,"
94-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1996. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Simon Gilchrist & Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1994. "The financial accelerator and the flight to quality," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1994. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," NBER Working Papers 4789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:oup:restud:v:79:y:2012:i:2:p:735-777 is not listed on IDEAS
- Randi Næs & Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Bernt Arne Ødegaard, 2011. "Stock Market Liquidity and the Business Cycle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(1), pages 139-176, 02.
- Qin Lei & Xuewu Wang, 2012. "Flight to liquidity due to heterogeneity in investment horizon," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 316-350, August.
- A. Can Inci & H.C. Li & Joseph McCarthy, 2011. "Measuring flight to quality: a local correlation analysis," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 69 - 87, February.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Helmut Franken & Carlos García & Alejandro Jara, 2003. "Bank Lending Channel and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism: the Case of Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 223, Central Bank of Chile.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp152013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.