Spatial Cournot Oligopoly with Vertical Linkages
This paper examines the equilibrium of location of N vertically-linked firms. In a spatial economy composed of two regions, a monopolist firm supplies an input to N consumer goods firms that compete in quantities. It was concluded that, when there are increases in the transport cost of the input, downstream firms prefer to agglomerate in the region where the upstream firm is located, in order to obtain savings in the production cost. On the other hand, increases in the general transport cost or in the number of downstream firms lead to a dispersion of these firms, in order to reduce competition and locate closer to the final consumer.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL|
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujita, M. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"Economics of agglomeration,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1250, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-François, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521171960, November.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Economics of Agglomeration," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 339-378, December.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-François, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107001411, November.
- Mayer, T., 1999.
"Spatial Cournot Competition and Heterogeneous Production Costs Across Locations,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
1999.89, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Mayer, Thierry, 2000. "Spatial Cournot competition and heterogeneous production costs across locations," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 325-352, May.
- Thierry Mayer, 2000. "Spatial Cournot Competition and Heterogeneous Production Costs Across Locations," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00267443, HAL.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & TOULEMONDE, Eric, .
"Product differentiation in successive vertical oligopolies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1720, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2003. "Product differentiation in successive vertical oligopolies," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 523-545, August.
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2000. "Product Differentiation in Successive Vertical Oligopolies," Working Papers 421, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- José Pontes, 2005. "Agglomeration in a vertically-related oligopoly," Portuguese Economic Journal, Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestao, vol. 4(2), pages 157-169, 08.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1998.14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mary Amiti, 1998.
"Regional Specialisation and Technological Leapfrogging,"
1998.14, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Hamaguchi, Nobuaki, 2001. "Intermediate goods and the spatial structure of an economy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 79-109, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp112005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.