A model of public and private partnership through concession contracts
In this paper, we investigate the economics of concession under dynamic uncertainty using real option theory. We analyze the properties of concession as an instrument to privatize investment and management of public resources. In this context, we explore, in particular, three issues: (1) the conditions under which the contract is acceptable to both a public and a private party, (2) the conditions under which it is efficient, i.e. it is preferable to direct development and operation by the public sector, and (3) two different possible equilibrium solutions. Finally, we apply the theoretical results obtained to the case of a major public highway concessionaire in Italy.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Cesare Balbo 16, Roma|
Web page: http://www.istat.it/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Damme, E.E.C., 2002.
"The European UMTS-auction,"
2002-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Chiara D'Alpaos & Cesare Dosi & Michele Moretto, 2005.
"Concession lenght and investment timing flexibility,"
ubs0502, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Michele Moretto & Chiara D.Alpaos & Cesare Dosi, 2005. "Concession Length and Investment Timing Flexibility," Working Papers 2005.32, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Urs Meister, 2004.
"Franchise Bidding in the Water Industry – Auction Schemes and Investment Incentives,"
- Urs Meister, 2004. "Franchise Bidding in the Water Industry- Auction Schemes and Investment Incentives," Working Papers 0033, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Scandizzo, Pasquale L. & Ventura, Marco, 0.
"Bids for the UMTS system: An empirical evaluation of the Italian case,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(10-11), pages 533-551, November.
- Pasquale L. Scandizzo & Marco Ventura, 2006. "Bids for the UMTS system: An empirical evaluation of the Italian case," CEIS Research Paper 88, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Paul Klemperer, 2001.
"How (Not) to Run Auctions: the European 3G Telecom Auctions,"
2002-W5, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 01 Nov 2001.
- Klemperer, Paul, 2002. "How (not) to run auctions: The European 3G telecom auctions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 829-845, May.
- Klemperer, Paul, 2002. "How (Not) to Run Auctions: The European 3G Telecom Auctions," CEPR Discussion Papers 3215, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Binmore, Kenneth & Klemperer, Paul, 2002.
"The Biggest Auction Ever: The Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licences,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ken Binmore & Paul Klemperer, 2002. "The Biggest Auction Ever: the Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licences," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(478), pages 74-96, March.
- Ken Binmore & Paul Klemperer, 2001. "The Biggest Auction Ever: the Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licenses," Economics Papers 2002-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Octavio A. F. Tourinho., 1979. "The Option Value of Reserves of Natural Resources," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 94, University of California at Berkeley.
- Klemperer, Paul, 2000.
"What Really Matters in Auction Design,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klein, Michael, 1998.
"Bidding for concessions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1957, The World Bank.
- Andrea Prat & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2001. "Spectrum Auctious Versus Beauty Contests: Costs and Benefits," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 91(4), pages 65-114, April-May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isa:wpaper:104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.