Bootstrapping the European Gender Wage Gap
This paper investigates the gender wage gap in Denmark, the Netherlands, France and Spain by boostrapping the Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition. The boostrap method is used to compute confidence intervals and to perform hypothesis tests for the (disaggregated) explained and unexplained components of the national earnings differentials between men and women. From the subset of paid employees selected from the European Community Household Panel (ECHP) it is revealed that the respective national gender wage gaps are significant at the 5% level. The empirical boostrap distribution of the male-female earnings differential reveals that the average differentials of the four selected countries lie very close together, whereas the boostrap standard deviations of the gaps do not agree.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://iriss.ceps.lu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973.
"Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Ronald Oaxaca, 1971. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," Working Papers 396, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1992. "The Gender Earnings Gap: Learning from International Comparisons," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 533-38, May.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Ransom, Michael R., 1994. "On discrimination and the decomposition of wage differentials," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 5-21, March.
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90.
- Jeffrey A. Mills & Sourushe Zandvakili, 1999.
"Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality,"
- Mills, Jeffrey A & Zandvakili, Sourushe, 1997. "Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 133-50, March-Apr.
- Dekkers, G.J.M. & Nelissen, J.H.M., 2001. "The Components of Income Inequality in Belgium : Applying the Shorrocks-Decomposition with Bootstrapping," Discussion Paper 2001-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200166 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:irs:iriswp:2003-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Philippe Van Kerm)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.